Chapter 1: Feng Ling

"Feng Ling — Soul Creation, Grade 1!" The elder monitoring the test shouted out.  As Feng Ling staggered off the stage, murmurs and boos accompanied him.  

"Whose that weakling?"

"Ohh, it's the Monarch's son.  Feng Shan's son Feng Ling, you know, the one who had never improved.  He had stayed at Soul Creation, Grade 1 for ten years already, since he had started his cultivation when he was four.  I'm surprised he hadn't given up on his cultivation!  Huh, all his peers are at least at Soul Creation Grade 6." 

Although Feng Ling acted nonchalant all the way down the stage back to the spectators' seat, he was frustrated.  It was the annual Soul Qi Test, and as the years before, he embarrassed himself greatly, by staying at Soul Creation Grade 1, the lowest level possible for the Soul Qi Cultivation.  The only gain he got was the mocking voices of disapproval, and the glares by the spectators, which hurt, as if they were small blades piercing into Feng Ling's body. 

"Next up, Feng Han!"  As Feng Han, a youth of age 14 walked up the stage and placed his left hand on the Soul Qi Tester — A Pillar with different holes to represent different cultivations.  The holes would light up in fire when a practitioner placed his or her hand on it, and the higher the cultivation, the more fires would be lighted up.  

This time, the pillar lighted up 7 fires, "— Soul Creation, Grade 7", the elder announced, while nodding his head as a sign of approval.  Proudly, Feng Han gave the spectators a bow, and left the stage.  

"Finally! Feng Xuan Xuan!" A girl aged 14, cloaked in gold and purple, strutted up the stage.  She had not only been the strongest in Feng Ling's peer group, with an amazing grade of Soul Creation Grade 8 the year before, but also, she was beautiful.  Feng Xuan Xuan had a glossy skin, slender body and she looked purely angelic divine, to the male Feng family practitioners.  

As she placed her hand on the pillar, the holes started lighting up — 1... 5... 9... and finally 10, and the fire turned from red to somewhat pink-magenta.  The changing of the color of the fire meant that, a partitioner had  raised his or her level, and in Feng Xuan Xuan's case, from Soul Creation Grade 9 to Lesser Soul Grade 1.  Although there's only one level between Soul Creation Grade 9 and Lesser Soul Grade 1, it meant a lot, as it symbolizes that the partitioner is acknowledged, and that he or she could choose a soul scroll, and practice fighting skills. 

The elder clapped his hands and shouted his approval to Feng Xuan Xuan.  She tousled her raven black hair, and gave the spectators a dazzling, heavenly smile which made the male practitioners lose their heads over her.  As she strutted down the stage proudly, her chin pointing up, the male practitioners of the Feng family rushed to the stage to congratulate her.  Feng Ling was not an exception.  In fact, he was the one of the first to reach Xuan Xuan.  Yet, when he spoke to her, Feng Xuan Xuan gave him an unladylike scowl, and muttered harshly to Feng Ling, "Who do  you think you are, you're not even at Soul Creation Grade 7 yet, what makes you think that you can speak to me ? In my eyes, you are nothing.  By now, you should have understood that there is a vast distance and status between the two of us.  Huh?  Now get out of my sight!" 

After the annual test, and Feng Ling returned to his house, which contained a garden, and a two story building with cultivation-training centers, since Feng Ling's father was the Feng family patriarch, after all.  Feng Ling just sat on his bed, and stared at the wall blankly.  It was as if this world wasn't made for him.  He had stayed at Soul Creation Grade 1 since he started cultivating 10 years ago.  Yet, he still hadn't been able to create his "soul", and without the "soul", one would be unable to cultivate soul qi, thus be useless and vulnerable in the Master Soul Realm.