chapter 42 || i'm not bulletproof

Teresa helped me get up as she began running off, I followed closely behind her, looking back to see if Janson was awake. And of course he was. The man held up a gun to us.

"Teresa!" I shouted as I grabbed her, making us fall over. The bullet was nearly inches away from her.

Janson continued shooting, but we ignored them as we turned the corner, sprinting into a dimly lit room. An aching burning sensation shot up through my body as I looked down, blood seeped through my shirt from my abdomen. I quickly put my hand on the wound, preventing as much blood loss as I could.

"We need to get out of he- wait, what's wrong?" Teresa asked, worry lacing her tone.

I grabbed onto my stomach as blood was already seeping through my shirt, making its way through the crevices on my hand.

My breathes grew heavier as I turned around to meet Teresa's eyes, moving my hand for her to see the hole in my abdomen.

"Y/N..." Her voice broke as her eyes widened. I continued to look down at my stomach, still shocked that I had been shot.

The brunette rushed over to me as I began to fall, my head spinning. All I wanted was to be gone. Away from here. Anywhere but possibly here.

I toppled over the tables, knocking down glass tubes and beakers. I let out a grunt every so often aswell. I was in pain, possibly the worst physical pain i've ever felt.

I groaned as I sat myself upright against the wall, Teresa following after me. I lifted up my shirt, revealing the bullet wound that sunk it's way in. She let out a loud horrific gasp as she began scrambling with her words.

She shuffled through the cabinets beside her as we both grew in a state of panic.

"I can find something in here" She said through panicked breaths.

"Oh fuck" I muttered as the pain increasingly grew. The more you payed attention to it, the worse it gets.

"Here! Here!" Teresa exclaimed as she grabbed a large roll of gauze. "Just keep it there and put pressure on it" 

I groaned loudly as she dug it into my body, both of us in an awful state.

"You- You gotta go" I said through pants. She looked up to me slowly, wondering if she had heard me correctly. 

I nodded to her, "You gotta go"

"No, no, I'm not leaving you, Y/N" She said as her blue eyes stared into mine. Even in these moments, I still saw her as one of the prettiest people I've met, and the hatred grew less, now I wanted her alive.

The decontamination area by the doors began whirring, notifying us that someone was coming in. We both turned our heads in fear as we saw the doors begin to open.

Janson slowly walked in, his gun pointed straight ahead and a large smirk on his face. He looked like a maniac.

"And to think, Teresa, you had me fooled... I thought we were friends" He said to us, cooly. 

My heart began pounding in my chest, so quickly that I thought it was going to fall out. Teresa peered over the table, before quickly going back down. She knocked into a beaker beside her, as it rolled away.

"Maybe it's just in your nature to betray the people closest to you" Janson said as he came closer to where I sat perched up. He somehow didn't see me as I held in a breath.

My body ached, and I didn't care if he killed me, because if he did, I then would be with Newt. Maybe this is how it felt for Newt, when he realized he got the Flare. In a matter of minutes, you can accept your fate, and realize that once you're almost dead, the hands of death turn welcoming, and less scary. 

Teresa moved on the other side of the room, causing tins and metal pans to drop, making Janson's body turn towards her area as he shot at it. 

"Come on, let's not prolong this... We both know there's no way out of here" Janson taunted. I heard his feet shuffling. 

I peered over my shoulder as I heard Teresa gasp. Janson stood inches away from her, his gun loaded and pointed directly at her body. 

Her feet slid around as she tried her best to get as far away from him as possible.

"Where is she?" He asked.

"Just take it" She pleaded. I'm guessing my cure and blood and what not. "Leave her alone" Her breathing grew heavier by the minute.

"What is it? She's a lab rat... She was born with the gift. She never had to fight for it, she never had to earn it" He sneered. "She doesn't deserve it"

Yeah, and neither do you, Rat-Man.

"Maybe... But it's hers" Teresa stated.

"What about you Y/N?" Janson asked as he began raising his voice. "What do you have to say? Don't you have enough blood on your hands already?"

He was right, I had everyone's blood on my hands by now. Chuck died, saving me. Winston died, protecting us. And Newt, oh Newt. Newt died so I could live. Newt died so I could fix the world, he left the world in my hands.

"You might not have been able to shoot her, but I can." I heard Janson smirk. "Okay, fine, have it your way."

I stood up silently, using the last bit of force I had. I picked up a piece of metal from the table.

"Janson!" I yelled, bringing his attention to me as I threw it at him. He ducked quickly, his head missing the object by centimeters.

I fell down almost instantly, my back against the cool metal cabinets. Janson stood rather fast though, as he held out his gun at me in almost an instant.

"You missed you little shit" He smirked.

"Did I?" I asked as I smirked back.

The glass next to us started to break, meaning the Cranks would be able to come out and feast. Janson turned his head around slowly as he looked at the breaking glass. The glass was cracked enough, so that the Cranks could throw themselves on it as they landed on Janson, not even looking at Teresa or I.

I gave her a weak smile as she looked at the scene in horror. She ran over to me in an instant.

"Thomas, we need to go" She said urgently, as she hoisted me up, putting my arm around her neck.

The Cranks payed no attention to us as their main focus was Janson. He screamed and shouted as they clawed and bit him. It's sad to say this, but I most certainly do not feel sorry at all.

published : february 10th, 2023

A/N : woo! janson got killed! anywho, i hope you all enjoyed this chapter! mwah i love you