The Opening: "Bewildered to see you."

(Writer's notes: Hello readers! I may just give off a few notes about this little novel or fic I'm writing for fun. So we have two characters, Astrid and Mackerel. Astrid is a male while Mackerel is non-binary yet has the characteristics of a male. Mackerel will be referred to as "They/Them" while Astrid is "He/Him". I hope this isn't confusing since this is my first time writing. I hope y'all enjoy these two rival friends that are lawyers making love^^)

----------

{Mackerel's P.O.V.}

A silhouette of the moonlight shone through the windows of an apartment, it was dark inside the room but from the angle where the moonlight shone...There appeared to be a young adult, sleeping. A man with dark brown hair, having his eyes closed as he had a scarred and speckled face. The sight of seeing him again, makes me remember...something. I made my way through the room, not wanting to disturb the man who was asleep. Due to my late arrival in the apartment, I had to cautiously walk to the other room..with the lights off. It was a stupid idea, and guess what? I trip and fell over, waking up the man from the loud thud I made. 

' 'W-Who are you?!..' 'The man exclaimed, holding tight onto the bed sheets.

I paused as he stared back at him, seeing those dark hazel eyes meeting with my pale blue eyes...

' 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you...I deeply apologize for coming late, this night...I'm your roommate.' ' I explained. I kept my head down, avoiding any contact with the man.

The man didn't seem to be surprised nor baffled by my explanation, he crossed his arms and got up, walking towards me.

' 'Hff, I guess that's fine. I should've stayed awake longer and accommodated you and your needs this night and as well for your room.' 'The man answered, reaching for the light switch and turning it on.
' 'Ah, rude of me... I'm Astrid. Astrid Duarte. Nice to meet you even this late at night.' 'Astrid said in a hushed tone, trying to laugh/humor at the situation currently at hand. 

Seeing him up close...he reminded me of someone I used to know, but with a clouded thought, I shook my head and looked back at him. ' 'Mackerel, Mackerel Whitford.' 'I uttered. 

Astrid let out a soft chuckle, walking to the unoccupied room and opening it. ' 'Here, your room. You should rest, tomorrow's gonna be a busy day for both of us.' 'He spoke. He then walked back to his bed and lay down. 

(' 'This is utterly embarrassing, walking up in the apartment late at night and getting caught by your own roommate. I'd be instantly guilty if this was a crime..' ') They thought.

Mackerel went into the room, dragging their luggage and as well their suitcase for work. They put their belongings aside and quickly laid down on the bed, not wanting to change clothes as they quickly went to sleep without any second thoughts.

[Next day...]

{Astrid's P.O.V.}

Sunlight shone at the open window, I open my eyes. I groaned, not wanting to get up yet used all of my energy to do so. I sat up as I thought of what happened last night, it was rare for someone to come late at night and still insisted to stay and be my roommate. I smelled fresh eggs being fried, accommodated with someone humming outside, perhaps in the kitchen. I got off the bed and wore my slippers, walked to the kitchen, and rubbed my eyes. I looked around and saw my new roommate cooking breakfast already. 

' 'Something caught your eye?' 'They spoke, seeing Astrid peak in the kitchen at the corner of their eyes. 

I let out a soft huff and walked behind them,' 'Well it's just surprising.' 'I found myself mumbling those words out. I quickly moved away from their side as I prepared myself a cup of coffee, my favorite drink.

' 'Geez, you like coffee and as well drinking it this early?' 'They asked. I took a sip of my cup of joe and shrugged, ' 'It's just my favorite drink.' 'I said.

' 'You know that's an alibi, right?' 'They huffed, preparing a plate for themself and as well another for...me? This is the first.

' 'Haha, very funny. I'm not telling you the reason why I drink coffee. Perhaps you'd want to explain yourself for making breakfast for me also?' 'I teased. They seem unfazed by what I said and walked toward me...

' 'Well, wouldn't it be embarrassing if I feed you myself, would it, Astrid?' 'They said, giving me a mischievous smirk. 

I glared at them, averting my eyes as I moved away from them. I tend to skip breakfast when I go to court, but...why would they do this? ' 'Fine, I'll eat but don't expect anything else.' '

They smiled, putting the plates down as they sat down on the table. I went to the other side to sit down at the table and started to eat as well. There was silence during it and after it, I did my usual routine. Taking a bath alone got dressed, and as well getting my case ready. I am a defense attorney after all and will look out for the ones who are in need!