Chap.2: "Bittersweet defeat"

The trial ended, after an exchange of arguments and pieces of evidence to prove the points of both questions and suspicions of the defendant. The verdict was finally handed down...

" Not guilty". 

The defendant, Velvet Roy is not guilty. The courtroom doors closed as the case was closed, the defense escorting the defendant out with flying colors while the prosecution left gloomily from the taste of defeat. It was bitter for them.

[1:45 pm - Courtroom Lobby No.1]

{Mackerel's P.O.V}

I left out of the court after the verdict was announced. "Not Guilty", this is preposterous! I do not accept this defeat. I heard footsteps behind me, but I ignored them. 

' 'Mr.Whitford!' ', A familiar voice called out to me. I stopped walking to make contact, seeing him again. It was Astrid, he seemed pleased to see me. He seemed quite happy. 

I gave him a cold gaze, crossing my arms as I spoke coldly,' 'What do you want? Aren't you supposed to go and enjoy your victory or are you here to make fun of the defeated prosecutor?' '.

The attorney stared into my eyes for a while, he gave me a sympathetic expression.' 'Mr.Whitford, considering your defeat and all... I'm here to invite you.' ' 

Invite me? For what? I furrowed my brows at him, seeing Mr.Roy behind him sheepishly hiding behind the attorney. ' 'What's the occasion? I'm too busy for any parties.' ', I replied back to him.

The man only let out a soft chuckle, smiling as he spoke, ' 'To celebrate the verdict Mr.Roy gotten and as well, to thank you for helping me to discover the truth.' ', I was shocked by his words. My gaze softened and considering the offer in mind, I turned away and let out a quiet grumble. 

I finally spoke, ' 'Fine. I'll consider your offer. What time?' '. The shorter man's eyes sparkled in happiness and nodded, ' 'Around 6:00 pm perhaps?' ', he replied.

I nodded in response, looking away from him. ' 'You know it wouldn't be a problem since we're..' ', I muttered. Velvet looked at us and gasped, ' 'You two are dating?!' ', The man exclaimed. 

The two of us went silent, knowing we have no evidence at hand to prove that we aren't but at the same time, no proof of us are dating. Velvet stared at us, looking smugly at Astrid. 

(' 'We can't say that we are since we just met...How do I word this out?' ')
 I thought to myself.

Astrid huffed and looked at Velvet, ' 'We're just friends. Nothing else, Velvet' ' he spoke. Velvet laughed and nudged Astrid, ' 'Well who knows? C'mon Astrid, tell the truth!' ' Velvet pressed, teasing Astrid more.

I cleared my throat to get their attention, ' 'Enough, Mr.Roy. Mr.Astrid and I have some important things to do.' '. I grabbed Astrid's hand and started to drag him out of the courthouse. 

Astrid was surprised by my actions, he was confused and flustered. He was trying to get out of my grasp. When we were finally outside the court, I let him go. ' 'Hff...Sorry.' ', I apologized.

The shorter one only looked at me, covering his face. I sighed and rolled my eyes, grabbing his arm once again, and dragging him to our apartment.

[At the apartment]

{Astrid's P.O.V.}

I was still confused, my face was still red as I thought about the moment that happened earlier. I just don't understand why'd they act like that to me. I sat down on the couch to cool down, sighing. I put my suitcase aside on the coffee table. Meanwhile, my roommate had locked themselves in their room, I could hear them muttering ' 'Stupid' ', over and over again. 

I got back up and walked towards their room, knocking gently on the door. ' 'Mr.Whitford?' ', I said in a hushed tone.

The muttering stopped as they opened the door, ' 'What do you want?' ', they spoke harshly as well having their arms crossed. 

I still felt intimidated by their icy and cold gaze as well as the tone of their voice, making a shiver run down my spine. ' 'Well, I think we both need to cool down...Would you like to have some err coffee?' ', I asked shyly. 

Silence filled the air for a moment, then they spoke, ' 'Only if it's tea, perhaps you have some?.' '

(' 'Huh, they like tea...' ') I thought.

Apparently, I had a stash of tea in the cupboards. I had them just in case someone in my family or my friends visit me. 

' 'Well, luckily, I actually do have tea... Why don't you go sit down by the coffee table? I'll prepare it for you.' ', I mumbled.

They nodded in response and went out of their room, going to the couch where the coffee table is placed in front of them. I let out a soft chuckle, seeing a small smile form on their face as they walked away.

I went to the kitchen to prepare a cup of tea for Mackerel, getting a teacup ready as well as the tea bag. I boiled some water in a kettle, waiting by the stove. 

' 'Hey, Mr..' ', I uttered.

' 'Just Mackerel, No need to be formal in this kind of setting, please.' '
, They spoke.

' 'Oh uh, well...Mackerel, why did you take the defeat so bitterly?' ', I asked as I walked to get a plate, putting some butter cookies on it. 

Silence filled the room once again, the kettle can be heard from the established silence. I turned off the stove to pour the water in the kettle into the teacup. I set it aside after and put a teabag in the cup, as I finished making the tea, I walked to the living room where Mackerel is and placed the teacup and the plate of cookies on the coffee table. 

' 'I'm sorry if the question is too personal for you, I was just..' ', I mumbled.

They looked at me and looked away, ' 'What do you expect from a prosecutor like me? You're just a mere defense attorney, who knows if you did the right thing? I utterly hate them, you're just an exception because I needed a place to stay in.' ', they said coldly as they picked up the cup of tea.

I sat beside them yet kept a distance, ' 'I don't expect anything from you, you did great at court, the truth is what only matters to me. I know that I did the right thing... I'm a defense attorney, after all, I will be there for the people who had nobody to defend them.' ', I said with a hint of courage. 

Mackerel took a sip of the tea and let out a soft sigh, ' 'Well tell me, why are there prosecutors then?' ', they said.

' 'It's the same thing as defense attorneys, we both are needed in court. So there would be an equal argument regarding the case at hand. If there's only one of us, do you think there would be a verdict would be given by a lone attorney in court?' ', I replied.

They went silent and picked up a butter cookie on the plate and then fed it to me. I squeaked and glared at them, crossing my arms.

' 'If you were a witness, I'd make you leave the stand for how talkative of a human you are..' ', They chuckled.

(' 'Talkative?! Now looks who's talking here!' ')

I ate the cookie and huffed softly, glaring at them, ' 'W-Well you don't have any evidence proving so!' ', I tried to counter their statement alone.

They put their teacup down, turning to face me. They leaned towards me, a mischievous smirk plastered on their face. ' 'The prosecution has evidence proving that your little pretty mouth is guilty of such talkativeness...' ', They said with an undertone.

My face flushed red from what they said, my heart was racing for what will come next. I was trembling in my seat, I tried to move away but they quickly pinned me down on the couch, my hands above my head.

(' 'This is the end of my ass, OH GOD THEY'RE SO CLOSE-' ')

I only panicked more, squirming in their grasp. They noticed how vulnerable I am under them, ' 'You are the evidence...' ', they whispered in my ear. 

They got off me after, smirking, ' 'The prosecution rests' ', They added. 

I was a blushing mess on the couch, covering my face. My body felt hot as I slowly lowered my arms to glare at them, ' 'H-How d-dare you d-do that to me!' ', I squeaked.

' 'Well you asked for evidence, you can't take that back' ', They chuckled as they took another sip of the teacup.

(' 'I'm not gonna let you win that argument!' ')

I sat back up and picked up a butter cookie off the plate and fed it to the prosecutor beside me, snickering. 

Unexpectedly, they ate it without any complaints. ' 'Thank you' ', They purred.

I feel defeated, I huffed and turned away from them, ' 'Fine, you win.' '.