5 - Friendly is a Good Start

Once dinner was done, I offered to do the dishes and Beau walked in as I was washing.

"You wash and I dry?" He asked and I nodded and handed him a plate.

"You always this helpful?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Yeah, sometimes. I mean I usually wash and dry myself but when it's just me it's one plate." Beau said and I smiled.

"I get that." I said and Beau nodded. It didn't take us long to finish the dishes. I grabbed the plates and opened the cupboard to put them away, but Beau was standing in the way.

"Excuse me." I said and he smiled but moved. I put the plates away as he put away everything else and we walked out to the living room and I sighed.

"Well, I better get started walking home. I want to get to bed soon." I said and Beau looked at me oddly.

"Why are you walking?" Beau asked.

"Well, my car wouldn't start and is sitting in the office parking lot Denise brought me here, but I refuse to have her get out and take me home. I can walk home." I said.

"Or I could take you." Beau said and I shook my head.

"I don't want you going out of your way..." I trailed off.

"It doesn't matter, it's getting dark and late and I don't want you walking." Beau said and I sighed but nodded.

"Fine, whenever you're ready." I said and he nodded.

"I'm good if you are." Beau said and I nodded. I walked over and hugged Denise.

"Behave..." Denise whispered in my ear as I hugged her.

"Love you." I said and we laughed. Beau then hugged Denise and we walked out. Beau walked around to my side of his jeep and opened the door for me.

"Thank you." I said as I got in. Once he was in the car, we headed down the street.

I gave him directions to my house. Once we pulled up outside, I smiled at Beau.

"Thanks for the ride home." I said and leaned over kissing his cheek, catching us both off guard.

"Oh um...no problem. How are you getting to work tomorrow?" Beau asked.

"I'll call Denise or Cassie." I said and he half nodded.

"I could always come and get you." Beau asked and I shook my head.

"No, it's okay. Thanks anyways." I said putting my hand over his and giving it a gentle squeeze. I went to get out of the car and then stopped looking at my house. I had a look of panic on my face.

"What Blake?" Beau asked.

"That lamp in the front window..." I trailed off.

"Yeah?" Beau asked.

"I didn't leave it on. I turned it off and closed the curtain when I left this morning." I said and Beau looked at me concerned.

"Stay here, lock the doors. Give me your house key, I want to check it out." Beau said and I shook my head.

"No, it's okay." I said and Beau looked at me, determination in his eyes.

"Blake please..." Beau said and I sighed handing him my keys. He got out of the jeep and I locked the doors like he instructed. I watched him unlock my door and then he pulled out his gun. I watched as I saw his shadow move about my house and then he walked out the front door and motioned for me to come in. I walked to my front door and he shook his head.

"No signs of forced entry and nothing else seems out of place." Beau said and I groaned.

"Beau, I know I didn't leave that on or the curtain open." I said and he nodded and placed a hand on my cheek seeing me panicked.

"I know, but it all seems okay now. I even checked closests and the crawl space." Beau said and I nodded.

"Thank you." I said and he removed his hand.

"I'll check on your tomorrow." Beau said and I nodded.

"Good night, Beau." I said and he smiled. I walked in and I closed the front door making sure to lock all 3 locks. I sighed, closed the curtain and turned off the lamp.

"You're safe Blake, calm down." I said to myself and headed to my bedroom. I changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed leaving the bedside lamp on. I then got in my nightstand and pulled out the gun purchased on my way here. I needed to feel safe. I slowly drifted off to sleep with my hand on my gun.

🤎 🤎 🤎

I woke up the next morning and groaned. It was a rough night, whenever there was a noise, I would wake up and check the house. I got up, took a shower, got dressed and made a pot of coffee. I looked out the front window and huffed at what I saw. Once the coffee was done, I poured some in 2 travel mugs. I grabbed my stuff and walked outside. I walked up to his car.

"Okay this isn't what it looks like..." Beau said and I took in his appearance.

"It looks like you sat outside my house all night watching it." I said handing him the coffee mug. He took a drink from it.

"Okay so it is what it looks like." Beau said and I sighed but gave a small smile.

"You didn't have to do that you know." I said and he shrugged.

"You were scared, I heard the 3 locks click as I walked away. I also know you keep a gun beside your bed...I needed to know you were safe." Beau said and I sighed and looked down at the ground.

"Thank you." I said and smiled at him.

"Get in, I'll take you to work then look at your truck." Beau said and I huffed a laugh.

"You need sleep Sheriff." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"Sleep is overrated." Beau scoffed and I just shook my head. Beau headed to the office and parked beside my truck, and I handed him my keys as we got out of the truck. As we got out of his truck Denise was pulling.

"She is going to read into this." I said motioning between us and Beau sighed with a smile.

"You got it handled or you need back up?" Beau asked and I laughed.

"I got it." I said and he smiled. I headed inside and Denise rushed to catch up.

"Did Beau bring you to work?" Denise asked unlocked the door to the office.

"Yes..." I said.

"Was he in the same clothes as last night?" Denise asked. I sighed and then went about explaining what happened when I got home and she got concerned.

"Thank god he stayed but now he is working on your truck?" Denise asked.

"He insisted." I said and Denise smiled at me.

"So, you and he are...?"

"We are friendly...I think..." I said and Denise smiled.

"Friendly is a good start." Denise said and I gave a small nod.