36 - Love... not Romance

Life is...

No...

At this point, I don't know what life really is anymore.

After regaining my consciousness for the first time, I fell asleep. I dreamt of Nico, that dream felt so real that I could feel his warmth all throughout my body.

Slowly, I opened my eyes once again as I started waking up from a slumber I didn't even know how long. The first thing I noticed was that very familiar feeling in my hands. That comforting, securing, and familiar warmth. I turned my head slowly to the left side of the bed, and surely, there was Nico, lying his head on the bed as he took a nap holding my hands.

There was a sudden wave of emotions in my heart as soon as I saw Nico. I felt really relieved that he seemed pretty well. "You're here... Thank goodness..." I muttered as I tried lifting my own weight and reached for Nico with my right hand.

Nico stirred and he moved his head. He looked up as he woke and his eyes started watering the instant he saw me reaching for him. "Drew..." Nico uttered my name tearfully. "Drew..." He repeated. "You're finally awake... Drew..." A tear fell from his eyes.

Nico leaned closer and hugged me, at that point, I was really glad to see Nico. He's alright, and that's what mattered most to me. As I hugged Nico back, I could feel the warmth of his body, and I was really thankful for that.

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to hug Nico like that ever again.

I was afraid that I won't see him ever again.

"I miss you, Drew," Nico said. "I never stopped believing that you would wake up. I never stopped praying that you would wake up." Nico said tearfully. "I'm really thankful... you're awake..."

Tears kept on falling from both of our eyes. I, too, was very glad that Nico is fine. I don't know what the whole situation was yet, all I knew was that I was very thankful that we're both okay, and that we can be together once again.

That fact was enough for me to feel really contended.

I was really confused, disoriented even. I had no idea what the reality at that moment truly was, and so, I asked Nico, my parents, and my friends.

The reality was very surprising to me. It was identical and yet completely different from the two lives I had been. Aside from the car accident Nico and I had been through, it seems that the reality I was in was way more peaceful that the former two.

First off, the car accident did happen the night Nico and I was going home form the homecoming dance, and it did left both Nico and I in a critical condition, but what surprised me was the fact that I was in a coma for more than two months.

Nico woke after just a week, in a month, he fully recovered. Ever since he woke up, he visited me day after day. He would hold my hand and kiss it every time. He would talk to me and tell me that he's waiting for me and that he loves me.

Two months. I was in a coma for two months, and it would make someone think that I dreamt of that second life all along, but I knew differently. I know for a fact that it was real, but it's not like I can tell that to anyone, I would only sound crazy to them and they would just think that it's a complication of my condition and nothing more.

Also, in the reality I woke up in, everything was almost the same as my first life, except for the fact that my family never crossed paths with the Robinson's and my parents never even thought of a divorce. I guess that was the gift that Fate was talking about.

My parents actually got worried when I asked them about it, they were confused so I told them that maybe it was just a dream, after that they really got worried. They even asked the doctor if my brain was affected by the accident, thankfully the doctor said that it was a normal thing to happen to patients in the same condition as I am.