EPISODE 20: DRAGON'S HEAD

NEVADA, 2040.

"Do you want another shot?"

Hani's eyes are glassy as she downs her whiskey shot, her glimmering eyeshadow sparkling extra against the dim light. Behind her, the city lights flicker in the distance in floor-to-ceiling windows and an impeccably-dressed butler serves them more hors d'oeuvres on thick napkins engraved with the imprint of an azure dragon.

This luxurious apartment is the last thing one would expect to see upon entering the tacky medieval hotel they'd had to walk through. The Azure Dragons had co-opted a service elevator that ran between every odd floor and apparently the top floor led to the most jaw-dropping apartment Shailene's ever seen. She doesn't even want to think of what debauchery lays below them. But that's the Azure Dragons for you — a veneer of glamor to disguise their utter lack of taste or class.

"You know I would never refuse," Shailene says, accepting the crystal glass. The amber liquid is smoky and bitter as it washes down her throat, burning a warmth in her chest.

"I still can't believe you left us for her," Park Yuno says to Hani, crossing her legs. "I can't imagine Left Behind throws any good parties." Her girlish giggle isn't what one expects out of a prominent gang leader, but 26-year-old Yuno has always been the obvious heir despite having an older brother. It's been said that prior to her father's death, she'd beg him to let her sit in on torture sessions — even getting to play with the controls of the electric chair on her 12th birthday.

Hani shrugs at the curly-haired woman. "You get tired of being an escort." Hani says it casually but Shailene feels a twinge of annoyance at the woman in front of them. The Azure Dragons try to pretend that they give their escorts a glamorous life but Shailene knows that their system is nothing more than exploitation.

"And you," Yuno narrows her eyes at Shailene. "How do you keep getting more beautiful each time I see you? Can you recommend me your surgeon?"

Before Shailene can open her mouth, Hani cuts in. "Shailene has never gotten an enhancement surgery." Shailene simply shrugs.

Yuno raises her eyebrows. "Is that so? Hmm, well I wonder if there's anything the Azure Dragons could offer you? I have a feeling you'd have a lot of fun with us."

Shailene laughs, highly aware of the way Yuno looks her skin-tight dress up and down. "You know I've dedicated my life to Left Behind."

Hani throws an arm around Shailene, leaning against her and hugging her tightly. Hani caresses Shailene's bare thigh. She can smell the sweet alcohol on Hani's breath. "It's true. She's always working."

Yuno sighs, looking like a sad little girl who's lost her puppy. She's tied pink ribbons into her hair, but they only serve to accentuate how untamable her hair is. "But we would love to have you. Who cares about the end of the world or yada yada whatever it is that you do?"

Shailene smiles again but is careful to avoid the topic. Nothing about Park Yuno looks threatening, but she's one of the most dangerous women in the country. And also one of the most unhinged. Even when drinking, Shailene never lets her guard down. "Speaking of. We're planning another round of targets, but we're low on supplies. Can we trust your team to come through with the next shipment? I'm sure you enjoyed the fruits from our last hit."

The three collectively look down on the table, where fresh fruits are laid delicately.

Yuno takes a swig straight from the bottle and wipes her mouth roughly. "Done and done."

"That's what you said last month," Shailene says, voice still playful. She makes sure to look at Yuno through her lashes, gazing at the formidable woman demurely. It makes her want to vomit. "We really need your help."