Late Night Fights

PONYBOY

"Oh no, what's Darry gonna say?" I said under my breath to Johnny. I got up and ran away from the lot and towards home.

I paused when I reached the fence and could see the lights on from inside. I walked quietly up to the porch and perred through the front window, seeing Soda laying on the couch and Darry reading the paper in his chair, waiting for me, no doubt.

I pushed open the door and stepped inside, nervously glancing at Darry. Soda sat up when he saw me, and Darry was on his feet in a second.

"Where the hell have you been?" He demanded. "Do you even know what time it is?"

I was quiet.

"Well, it's almost two o'clock in the morning, kiddo! And I can't even call the cops because you'd be thrown into a boys' home so fast it'll make your head spin!" He hollered.

"Hey, Pony, where were you?" Soda asked, much calmer than Darry.

"I fell asleep in the lot." I mumbled.

"You what?" Darry asked angrily.

I shoved past him and tried to make it to the bathroom, just for him to follow me. "I was talking to Johnny, and I fell asleep in the lot, I didn't mean to."

"That's all I ever hear from you." Darry barked.

"Darry-" Soda starts, following us to the bathroom.

"I'm sick of you sticking up for him!" Darry shouts.

"Don't you yell at him!" I hollered back.

Darry whipped around to face me. "Do you remember what I said last time.you came home so late? What I'd do if it happened again?"

My mouth dropped open in shock.

"Well?!"

"You said you'd skin me." I answered dumbly.

"Come on, Darry, you can't be serious. It was just an accident. He's home now." Soda tried.

"Stay out of it, Sodapop, and head to bed." Darry ordered.

"But -"

"Go'on or you're next." Darry barked.

Soda reluctantly backed down and headed towards our room. I could tell by the way the door shut just a bit too hard that he wasn't happy.

"You and me have to have a talk, kiddo." Darry said, grabbing me by the arm and dragging me back to the living room.

Once we were there, he plopped me down on the couch and stood in front of me all serious like. He arms were crossed, and his eyes meant business. It began to dawn on me that I might actually be getting a licking, and Soda won't be able to save me.

"I don't much like you walking around by yourself during the day, hell Pony, you just got jumped this morning! So you can imagine that I like it even less at night. Especially when you're out missing until two in the morning." He scolds harshly.

"I didn't mean to." I mumbled.

"You need to start using your head for something other than stories."

"Yessir."

"I told you this last time, and it didn't stick. I'm not making that mistake again. You will learn to listen to me." He said darkly.

I just want to go to bed. I've never liked being hollered at.

"Stand up." Darry ordered.

I stood.