Drunk Death Eaters and Disillusioned Phoenixes

A/N I realized that I have completely forgotten about Hermione's new cat, Jasper. the next chapter after this is a shorter chapter from his pov. I needed to include him again. If anyone noticed no one mentioned it, my beta included lol As to this chapter, I needed to kick the plot along so, I hope you like where I take it!

Chapter 30

Helga Hufflepuff's goblet sat in place of pride amongst Bellatrix's finest snifters and ornate crystal rock glasses. Severus had not expected to find it so brazenly displayed in the Lestrange liquor cabinet. Then again, who would think to look for a bit of Voldemort's soul amongst fine glassware and expensive liquor?

He had watched, with horrified curiosity, as she sipped her top shelf fire whiskey from the Dark Lord's horcrux. It was ludicrous and couldn't possibly be healthy. No wonder she was such a violent nutcase.

Considering where Hermione had found it in her time, Severus had imagined it would be somewhere more secure. At least locked somewhere in the dungeon or maybe under her bed. Did the Dark Lord know how it was kept? As to that, did Bellatrix even know what it was?

It had been almost too easy, sitting between her and her sulking husband, pretending to get as pissed as they did. A simple gemino charm and the original was pried from Bellatrix's fingers and stowed in his robes. Careful to cover his tracks, he'd cast a dark spell on the fake to imitate the horcruxe's aura, sloshed a bit of whiskey in, replaced it in her hand and fled the premises.

For the next eight or so hours, Severus had been so filled with anxiety he'd been unable to do more than actually drink a bit of his own cheap muggle liquor and pace about his home. Surely this time he would be found out. It had been entirely too easy. His presence immediately before Sirius's escape would be suspect, how could it not? And what if Bellatrix knew what the cup was and knew she had a fake at once?

By the time his Dark Mark finally burned, Severus had sobered up and all but worn through the already threadbare rug in his sitting room. Swallowing down the riot of nerves, he pushed down the fear that he was about to be murdered, slipped on his mask and apparated away.

An hour later, Severus was home again and so stunned to have miraculously avoided any scrutiny from Voldemort that he promptly vomited. The bile stank of alcohol and his worst childhood memories. Glaring, he banished the mess—ruined rug and all—and contacted Granger.

While he waited for a response, Severus wondered how long he would be safe. Surely it was only a matter of time. Why Bellatrix and her idiot husband didn't point to him as their master tortured them over the loss of an Order member he'd never know. He'd been lucky today, but that wouldn't last forever.

They needed to end the Dark Lord as soon as possible. Fuck waiting until he hid the locket in a year. They would come up with a way to kill Voldemort and the locket he apparently wore like some kind of sick accessory in one go. If it took out the rest of the Death Eaters, all the better.

Glad ur alive

Meet tomorrow

Usual time

We'll floo

The coin burned and cooled and burned again as he tapped through her messages. He frowned. They had been meeting in Muggle London rather than either of their homes to avoid run-ins with uninvited guests. While the Prewett's townhouse was locked down against intruders, Severus could afford no such luxury.

Mut safe

Great. At least his monumental risk had been worth it.

Knowing he would be too anxious to sleep so long as he had possession of the horcrux, Severus hauled himself to his feet and went in search of coffee.