Chapter 59

"What the fuck are those marks on your neck?" Rafe notices as soon as I get into his car, pushing my hair aside to get a closer look.

"What marks?" I play dumb. I know that if I tell him exactly what happened he'd kick me out of the car and go and find Topper himself. Not wanting my boyfriend suffering a murder charge, I have to lie.

He peers down at me suspiciously, probably already knowing I'm lying. "Nessa, your neck is bright red with finger marks. Who the fuck did it!" His tone demanding. He sounds almost desperate for me to tell him.

"Can we not just have a good day please Rafe, I'm really counting on this cheering me up." I plead followed by a sigh.

"What's wrong?" He puts his hand on my thigh, smoothing his thumb against my skin. Using his other hand he sweeps my hair behind my ear, whilst looking for my eyes.

I meet his with mine, my heart almost stops. I try not to choke on my words. "Dads coming back."

"What the fuck, why?" His brows furrow in confusion at the news he has just learnt.

My dad doesn't live in outerbanks, he hasn't for a really long time. People over here know him for what he truly is... abusive. It looks like Topper has inherited some of his special qualities. None of my mothers friends, my friends or people of the island like him and I know as soon as news spreads he's here, we'll be the talk of the town. The thing about my dad is, if I should even call him that, he likes the control. He likes to feel the power coursing through his veins. He views women as disposable, like pieces of meat you can throw around, slice and dice and throw away. I was never a favourite of his. The only person he made time for was my brother. He knew Topper had potential - to turn out just like him. So the only reason he's making a trip back to outerbanks is for Topper. He was finished with me and my mother a long time ago from the moment he left.

"I'm not sure." I shrug. Liar. I know exactly why he's making the trip out here but if I tell Rafe it's for Topper I'll have to tell him why. "I heard my mom say his name on the phone and she said something about him coming here so she'll see him soon."

"Shit." He breathes out. He scoops my hand up up in his. "You know you don't have to see him, right? You can stay with me until he's gone."

I smile sheepishly at his sweet words. "You know I'd love that Rafe but he'll only have something to say if I don't see him."

"I'll come with you." He says immediately.

"You don't have to do that..."

"I want to." He interrupts. My heart threatens to leap out of my chest, the fact he cares enough to stand by my side whilst I deal with seeing him.

"Well then I'd love you to." I squeeze his hand. "Now can we please get this date day on the road."

A smile tugs at his lips as he turns back to the wheel. "Of course babe."

Rafe drives us to a cafe in the middle of town. We get a table in the corner by the window and order our food and drinks.

"Listen, there's something I wanted to talk to you about, Rafe." I try not to sound too serious and don't want to give him the impression it's a bad talk so I take his hand in mine entwining our fingers.

"I'm listening." He tells me bringing my hand to his mouth and pressing a kiss to the back.

"I don't want to hide our relationship anymore. I want the world to know we're together." His face lights up from my words.

"There's nothing I want more than the world to know you're mine, Ness." His response causing me to blush. He reaches over the table and presses his lips to mine before sitting back down.

***

"I've had the best day with you, Rafe, thankyou." I admire his side profile as he drives down our street before parking in front of my house. He squeezes my thigh with his hand he's had resting on my thigh for the entire drive. A strange car is on our drive which confirms my father is here.

The engine switches off but I make no move to get out. Silence fills the car and I can feel Rafe's eyes on me as I watch the front door of my house.

He is the first to break the silence. "You don't have to go in there, you know." He tries his best to reassure me and change my mind but I have to do this.

"I know. But I think it's best if I do." With that, Rafe gets out the car and makes his way to the passenger side, opening the door and holding his hand out to me.

"Let's do it together."

I don't hesitate before taking his hand and letting him lead me to my own house. We walk through the door and I hear a deep monotonous voice coming from the sitting room. I quickly look at Rafe with uncertainty but he brushes his hand through my hair planting a kiss on my forehead.

I take a deep breath before walking through to find my mother and father sat on opposite couches. I feel Rafe's chest to my back. Both my parents eyes fall on me.

I fake a small smile as I see him sat there. His hair silver and plenty. A beard covers half his face. He's dressed smartly in a suit and pointy shoes.

"Hello, Nessie." His voice deep and daunting. He uses my childhood nickname, the one only mom calls me. He shouldn't have the privilege of calling me that, he wasn't here. He hasn't been here. And now he is here, I just want him to go.

"Hello, dad."