Chapter Four

Warnings: mentions of physical child abuse and injuries. Then a touch of much needed fluffffff.

Word Count: 3.8k

Author's Note: Billy's unexplained absence at the pool is finally clarified. Please heed warnings. This chapter is heavier, for canon-compliant reasons. :( I want my sweet Billy happy and loved and it's coming. Please please let me know your thoughts. Feedback and reblogs help authors feel appreciated and more motivated to write. FYI. :) Love you all!! 

________________________________________

Previously:

"I'll see you tomorrow? You're working, right?"

Some sort of winged creature had taken flight in your stomach.

"Yup," you confirmed, a little too giddy. "I'll be here. See you then."

Climbing out of the car, you walked toward your bike and then watched as Billy offered a wave and then peeled out of the parking lot.

That had gone...surprisingly well, you thought as you climbed on your bike and pedaled home. You were curious what Billy was trying to say earlier, but hopefully you'd be able to find out when you saw him at work the next day.

__________

Except you didn't.

Billy wasn't at work on July 5th, contrary to what he had said the night before. From your spot at the Snack Shack, all you could see was that one of the other lifeguards was filling in for him. It was news for more than just you, however, as you could see the disappointment on the faces of Mrs. Wheeler and Company when someone other than Billy walked out the locker room door. Blech.

During your lunch break, you might have peeked at the lifeguard work schedule that was posted in the manager's office. Just in case perhaps Billy was mistaken and forgot he was off today. But no. He was originally scheduled the entire week.

Huh.

Getting back to work, you tried to keep your thoughts from Billy but it was damn near impossible. After the night you had together, you almost had hoped that there might be something between you. Something...romantic? You scarcely allowed yourself to believe it. That the Great Billy Hargrove could possibly feel the same way that you do.

Billy was incredibly handsome and charming when he chose to be. That was obvious to anyone with eyes. However, it was the past few weeks of closing together and moments of vulnerability that had you falling for him. That realization hit you like a sledgehammer as you worked that afternoon. So much of your job had become second nature, serving food and filling cups with soda, that you had way too much time to overthink the previous night and the weeks before it.

Maybe Billy was just a nice guy under the mask of asshole behavior. You couldn't have been the first to get to see that side of him. After hours of letting it all roll around in your head, you decided that you could probably live with just being friends with Billy. Getting to know him had been the highlight of your summer so far and you didn't want to lose him entirely all because of a stupid crush.

Closing by yourself was a much more boring endeavor without Billy. Katie had roped Freddy into staying late and helping her finish all the end of day tasks. Mostly you ignored them until you overheard Katie's rather loud whining about her changed schedule.

"Fucking Billy calling in sick with no warning. I mean, what the hell?" Katie yelled toward Freddy as she re-arranged the lounge chairs. "I had plans for tonight but I got called in." You could hear the pouting in her voice.