Five

The following week was a lot better than the previous. I talked to Skylar more over the weekend and even got to meet Beau. It wasn't as personal as in person, but a video call would do for now. He was cute, I supposed. Totally Sky's type with skin as dark as her own and short cropped hair that was obviously curly should he ever grow it out. His eyes were blue, though, and that was striking against his complexion. His lips were full, and his ears sort of stuck out, but it suited him to an extent and I was probably just trying to point out his flaws for my own sake of losing Sky to him.

When I wasn't calling her, we were updating each other about our lives over text, and anytime Scarlet confronted me, I repeated the jeer to Skylar, who then mocked it and pointed out its weakness to make me feel better. By Thursday, Sky said my eyes were literal jewels again and my happiness had brought my powerful glow back, and she could tell even over a video chat.

Friday, I noticed she was right, because the guys were tripping all over themselves trying to talk to me again. Each time, I shooed them away, telling them to go bother Scarlet. It felt nice for things to be back to normal, even if it was just a little.

Two Monday's later, though, Scarlet was out for me. She came up from behind me and slammed my locker closed. "You're such a slut, you know that?"

I choked on my breath. "Excuse me?"

"All those guys have been after you all month, and rumor has it, you're not turning them down anymore."

"Scarlet, you're being ridiculous." I didn't have energy for her today.

"I don't blame you." She sneered, "I mean, look at them! Look at you! No one's really to blame, except maybe the goddess. But—"

I cut her off by slamming my elbow into her windpipe and pinning her against the lockers. The hall cleared of students in fear of what might happen between myself and my nemesis. "What did you say?" I heard her say goddess, but I had only heard wolves speak of Her, not humans. But I didn't want to expose myself by asking her that specifically.

Her breath came out strangled and I loosened the pressure a little. She coughed once and her eyes went wide as if just realizing what she had said. "I. . . Say. . . Thing." She managed to gasp out.

I relaxed my arm a little more. "You said something. I heard you. What do you know?"

Finally she smirked. "More than you'd ever guess." She wriggled out from my arm and disappeared around the corner to her class.

With a shaky breath, I whipped my phone out and hurriedly texted Skylar what had happened.

Her reply was instant. Does she know about us?

I don't know. I answered.

Do you think she's a wolf?

That had never occurred to me before. She was pretty enough to be a wolf, but so many humans were naturally pretty that it couldn't be the only factor put into consideration.

Wouldn't we be able to smell it?

Hmm. Maybe she's part of some cult that worships a different goddess?

Maybe. I wasn't convinced. But I was shaken enough to avoid Scarlet the rest of the day. I didn't see her until Wednesday, when she slipped her foot into the aisle between desks and I caught it at the last second, falling into my seat and smacking someone with my backpack.

"Hey!"

Scarlet snickered from her seat. "Goodness, Emerald. I thought you grew out of your clumsiness!"

I ignored her, pressing on my hip where I had hit the side of a chair on my way down. I willed my wolf to subside the pain as quickly as possible so I wouldn't cry and give Scarlet yet another victory.