THIRTEEN || trump cards

_________________

𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

_________________

Cora had been quick to excuse herself after dinner, but as the night had ticked on, she'd felt restless in her bedroom, bored by the endless scrolling on her phone. She'd changed out of the restrictive dress she'd worn to dinner, and now wore a sweater that matched her cream coloured sweatpants. The air was stiff with a sharp breeze as Cora paced the perimeter of the building, her arms crossed against her chest. The grounds were eerily quiet, her footsteps crunching against the gravel accentuated by the muted surroundings. She wasn't alone though, her eyes tracing the nearby courtyard and falling on the figure of a man. When she realised it was Kendall, puffing smoke into the wind, she froze in the shadow of one of the stone pillars, clenching her teeth.

She considered for a moment retracing her path in order to avoid him. After the daggers he'd spent dinner staring at her and the walk out that followed, she could only imagine what he wanted to say to her. Before she could duck into the shadows, though, he turned and spotted her.

Smoke puffed from his lips, dissipating quickly into the air. She expected a hardness to his stare, but instead, he simply looked tired. Cora chewed on her bottom lip, slowing her pace as she began to pass him, hugging her arms against her chest. The sudden compulsion to smoke filled her in the form of an itch at the base of her throat. Her eyes fell to the packet, currently sticking out of the pocket of his button up shirt.

"Can I have one?"

"Be my guest."

She nodded, joining him, trying to ignore the slur of his words. He handed her the packet and a lighter. She pulled one of the cigarettes out from the packet, placing it between her lips. After a few failed attempts, Kendall raised his hands, to shield her from the wind. Successfully lit, she inhaled deeply, the smoke invading her lungs as she attempted to pass the packet back to him. Kendall shook his head in reply.

"Keep it."

"Thanks." Cora replied, unsure how to take the sudden token. "Appreciate it, I guess."

An awkward few minutes passed where both of them averted their gaze from one another. Cora opted to look out at the estate's expansive yard that bordered on a lake, bathed inky black by the night's sky. In the distance she could see the curved form of one of Waystar Royco's helicopters, shining in the moonlight like a large metal beetle.