Chapter 06

I wake up in a dark room with only the faintest trace of daylight peeking in through the window. I'm lying on a bed and have trouble focusing my eyes. I'm not alone. Someone's lying next to me. I reach out and gently touch the soft skin of the person's neck. It's warm, but I can't tell whose it is.

I try to sit up, but the room spins and I vomit as soon as I do. I reach out for the wall and steady myself before falling back onto the bed. I feel weak and drained. This isn't good. If I'm going to survive this hangover, I need to rest for a while.

I sit up and use the wall to support myself. I look around the room and notice that the curtains are drawn and the lights are turned off. It's quiet except for the sound of my breathing and that of the person who's still in bed. I'm suddenly overcome by a strong desire to go outside and get a breath of fresh air. I stand up and walk unsteadily towards the window. I look out at the night sky and wonder how I even got here.

My hands tremble as I grasp the edges of the window frame. I stare at the ground below and feel a sudden rush of relief. The world around me has become very small and familiar. I feel safe here.

Someone stirs on the bed and turns towards me. I look up and see Julie staring at me with concern in her eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah," I reply. "Just need some fresh air."

I step up to the window and carefully lower myself down. When I'm standing on the windowsill, I push it open further and step outside. I take a deep breath and revel in the cool breeze blowing in from the nearby trees. I look down and see the grass beneath my feet and I remember not feeling well before passing out in front of everyone. The memory makes my face heat up in embarrassment. I close my eyes and lean my head against the window pane.

I hear footsteps approaching me and I open my eyes to see Julie standing beside me. She takes hold of my shoulders and steadies me as I sway in the wind. I wrap my arms around her and bury my face in her neck and sniffle. I can't stop crying. What's wrong with me? Did I overdo it just that much?

"Are you sure you're alright?" Julie asks. "I mean, you don't look good."

"I'm sorry," I say between tears. "I'm just so embarrassed. I shouldn't have gotten drunk like that."

"It's okay," she says, patting my back. "You just had one too many drinks. We've all been there. No one's judging you."

"How about you?" I ask. "You don't look too good yourself."

"Me?" she laughs. "Don't worry about me. I'm okay. I have a high alcohol tolerance."

"Really?" I ask. "Wow."

"Come on," she says after a moment. "Let's get back inside."

I shake my head and laugh a little. "Okay," I say, wiping my nose on my sleeve. "I'm coming."

We both climb back into the house and Julie leads me downstairs to the kitchen. There's no one else around at the moment. The party must've ended a little while back, but the floor is still littered with plastic cups and empty cans and the faint stench of alcohol still hangs in the air. I walk past the living room and see Noah sitting on the sofa with Dom and Maddy. They look exhausted and barely conscious. I cringe. I can imagine what they've probably been doing. Noah stands up when he sees us and walks over to the kitchen.

"Hey," he says as he pulls Julie in for a quick hug.

"Hey," Julie replies with a smile, her face a light shade of pink under the lights.

He follows us into the kitchen and he looks surprised to see me still standing there. "Good to know you're still alive and back on your feet."

I give him a weak smile and open the fridge door. I reach inside and grab a bottle of ginger ale and pour myself a tall glass. I take a sip and savor the tart taste of the carbonated beverage before handing it to Julie.