Uncle Moony

Harley liked Professor Lupin. He was not much different from what she thought he would be. He was dramatic and flashy and awesome . And how could he not be? Sirius wouldn't fall head over heels for just anyone. She could see how their friendship dynamic worked , now that she met him.

"Look at the state of his robes. He dresses like our old house-elf."
Malfoy sneered at professor Lupin behind his back , on their very first class.

"Look at state of your brain! It is probably smaller than your little elf's "
Harley wasn't even looking at Malfoy when she said so.
Her eyes were on the professor. So she did not see Malfoy turn red but she did see the small smile the professor gave her.

Professor Lupin had acted as if he didn't hear anything when he actually heard everything. Perhaps he had increased hearing range because of his lycanthropy. It was an unsettling thought. Not him being a werewolf, but him hearing everything.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Harley's boggart looked like herself to most of the classes surprise. Even professor Lupin raised an eyebrow. But Harley was not at all surprised. As boggart-Harley was about to speak, real Harley shouted 'Riddiculus' and the mouth of the boggart-Harley stitched itself together and the boggart struggled to speak.

Harley grinned smugly as the boggart was passed to the next person. But most people were still haunted by Harley's boggart. And that included Gideon. The boggart in itself was fine, but the way she stopped it was.. Not.

At the end of the class when professor Lupin asked her to stay behind, no one was really surprised. The girl probably had something going on, with her boggart being herself and all .

But Harley knew that was not the reason. Probably not. She hoped it wasn't.

"Harley Black, huh? " Lupin asked the moment they were alone.
"Yes" Harley replied without hesitation. Even though she knew that he knew.

"I don't remember Sirius Black having a daughter "
"Not biological"

"Really now? "
"Well he would never have had one ,considering that he's,you know? "

"Considering he's a criminal? "
Harley laughed
"Who said criminals can't have kids? I meant gay"

Remus Lupin looked startled for a moment.
"I suppose you don't know who you really are"
"I know, I know everything I have to "

"Harley you are.. "
"A Potter. Yes. I know. Sirius never hid anything from me"

Lupin paused. It was as if he hadn't considered this situation.
"Look, professor or can I call you Moony? No? Okay. Well professor I know everything that happened okay? He raised me until I was 9. Until he got caught. He told me everything. And seriously why would he ever care for me if he hated me? Or James and Lily "

"They are your parents Harley. Don't talk of them that way"
"Well Sirius is more of parent to me than either of them ever were"

"Harley you don't understand.. "
"What do I not understand? You know what explain one thing. No one came for me. Not on the day they died. Not when Sirius was arrested. Why choose now? "

"No one knew you exsited "
"That now, is a lie"

"No Harley, I knew you were with Black the day it went down. I thought he killed you first. "
"Well he didn't. "

"Harley, please. I know now that I should have looked for you,but.. "

"But what? It was better you didn't do it. If you had I would have grown up hating him. Imagine that! No it's better this way "

"I'm sorry, I understand why you think so high of him but he's a traitor all the same. You can't trust him wholeheartedly "

"Please, professor. I trust you. Because of Sirius . Because of the stories he told me. I don't blame you. But he's not a traitor and you can't make me believe otherwise "

"Harley-"
"I always thought of you as my uncle. That's how Sirius taught me. And here you are, telling me he's a traitor. Can't you see the irony? "

Harley walked away shaking herself free of the professor's grip.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Gideon wondered why Harley has started to look even more upset as the days progressed. Or maybe she was angry. Her mouth was drawn in a permanent scowl and her eyes shot daggers at anyone who dared to look at her.

Everyone, including him, was trying their level best to avoid her. Even Peeves, the poltergeist, who had taken fancy to bowing and welcoming the 'slytherin princess ' with songs, every time he saw Harley, had now opted to shut up with just one glance from her.

It was the first time anyone other than the bloody Baron scared Peeves. That gave Harley an even worse reputation than all that drama during the last year.

The only person who was not at all bothered by Harley's behavior was Snape. Maybe that was because he was in a fouler mood than her.

"Miss Black! " Snape called as she swirled her potion clockwise instead of anticlockwise.

"What?! " Harley snapped much to everyone's surprise. A few Griffindors , including Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, snickered .

Snapes eyes flashed. After that incident with Neville's boggart, what little patience he had, had evaporated.
Harley for once looked regretful.

"Ten points from Griffindor for making noise" The Griffindors shut up. It was the slytherins' turn to snicker.
"And Miss Black ,in my office ,after class. "

Things were not at all looking good.