Chapter 8: Powers to be tested.

By the time the sun came up, it seemed that Winifred and Sarah were anxious. I had no idea what about. All I knew was that they were overly-excited- in an evil way, that is- about something to do with me.
Ever since Winifred caught me looking at her book, her and Sarah refused to go to bed. They sat up all night, discussing on how they could prove to me that I was a witch.
    I was laying on my sheets, trying to sleep, but the sound of Winifred and Sarah's voices kept me from doing so. I lay down, my hands folded beneath my head for a pillow, my eyes open tiredly. I didn't dare let them know I was awake though because I'm sure they'd make me get up. Winifred and Sarah sat around the cauldron, which now had a gold potion bubbling within it. They were drinking tea.

"Perhaps there is a potion that will do Kaytrina justice," Sarah offered as she sipped her tea.
    It was odd. The way they sat around with each other, sipping tea, reminded me of what elderly English ladies would do. But then I realized they were elderly English ladies. Sarah once told me that they were hung in 1693, near the end of the notorious Salem Witch Trials. I had written a report on the trials back in eighth grade. If only I had known these three back then! They totally could've helped me.

"I wonder if she can fly," Sarah stated childishly.

"Of course she can, you dolt! But she is not ready. She must learn the basics."
Winifred looked a tad annoyed.

    Sarah then turned and looked over her shoulder. There was a tea pot sitting on top of the old wood stove. She grinned. She stuck an index finger erectly in the air, and, looking at the pot, gestured it for it to come to her. The pot coughed up a puff of smoke, then, began to rise.

Slowly, I sat up from my bed. I tilted my head awkwardly.

The pot floated over to Sarah. "Ahhhh," she cooed.

She stuck out her cup, and the pot tilted itself. Tea began pouring itself in the cup. Sarah giggled as if she were a child.
"Thank you, that is enough," she said softly to it. Almost as if the pot could understand her, it stopped pouring. The pot then made it's way back to the wood stove, and set itself down.

Winifred rolled her eyes.
"Lazy bafoon! Must thou use magic for everything?" she asked, now very annoyed.

Just then, the sound of footsteps could be heard from upstairs. Mary must have been moving around up there.
Winnifred and Sarah were still unaware I was awake as I continued to listen to their conversation.

"Winnie, dost thou think that Kaytrina is who I think she is?" Sarah asked.

   Winifred stared at her evilly for a moment, as if she hadn't wanted her to bring the topic up. She sighed, and leaned back in her chair. She exhaled heavily.

"Oh, Sarah," she said, softening her tone.
"Thou knows that I'd give anything for her to be." She fiddled with the spoon that she stirred her tea with.

Who did they think I was? I was going crazy with how cryptic they were being.
   Just then, Mary walked in from the staircase. She moved across the room, grabbed a cup of tea, and walked toward them.

"Good morning to thee," she greeted before taking a seat next to Winnifred. She took a sip of tea.
"Where is Kaytrina?"

   That was my cue! I wanted to get up, anyway. I stood up, and stretched. I yawned loudly. As soon as I woke, Winifred the witch came back out.

"Ah, there you are, child," hissed Winifred. "Come hither."

   I took it that she wanted to inform me of the day's activities. I walked to where she sat. She did nothing but hand me her tea cup.

"More," she instructed.

Ah, I see how it is! Although there was a possibility of me being a witch, I was still Winifred's little slave. I walked over to the tea pot and began pouring her some.

"I have decided that thou's powers shalt be tested," she said to me, while examining one of her rings.
"After all, I can't have a white witch living in my household."
As I poured tea, I arched a brow. I gulped silently. What if I did end up being a white witch? I would end up back on the streets for sure. I bit my lower lip. I then escorted Winifred's tea back to her.

She took it from me and sipped it.
"Thou will begin with the basics, such as learning to control magic. And Mary shalt teach you how to use your magic as an everyday resource. And when the time arrives, Sarah shalt teach you to fly. But that is a bit far ahead." She turned her head and looked up at me.
"Dost thou comprehend?"

I nodded. "Yes, Winifred."

"Good." She quickly finished her tea and stood up.

"I have things I have to accomplish today. Sarah, Mary, I leave thou in charge while I am gone."
She crossed the room and set her tea cup next to the washbasin on the table her book was on. She stroked the books cover and smiled to herself. When she was done, she retrieved her cloak and her broom before stopping at the door.

"Mary!"

"Yes, Winnie?" said Mary from her chair.

"I want thou to teach her the basics of levitating objects."

Mary nodded.

Winifred then disappeared out the door.

I stood awkwardly before the two. They did nothing but stare before Sarah broke the awkward silence.

"Well, we shalt do as Winnie says, and teach Kaytrina how to do magic," she said happily.
   She bound over to me, grabbed my wrist, and began leading me toward the door. Mary began laughing hysterically as she followed. What had I gotten myself into?