Chapter 25: "Only white magic can heal."

After a little while, the three little girls were called home and we retreated inside to get our cold wet clothes off.
After hot showers, Mallory reheated some thanksgiving leftovers and we all sat in the kitchen laughing and telling stories.

"You know what we need right now?" Mallory said, bouncing her eyebrows with a grin.

"Oh god Mal". I laughed, shaking my head. I knew exactly what she was about to bring out.

She got up and opened up one of the bottom cabinets. When she got what she was after, she stood up and held up a bottle of Jose Cuervo.

"Tequila!" she cheered in a terrible Mexican accent.

"What?" Sarah asked, eyeing the large glass bottle.

"Her favorite alcohol." I laughed.

"I bet there wasn't a lot of this around here 300 plus years ago". Mallory stated, pouring herself a shot glass full.
"You know with the puritans being so straight laced and devoted to being the perfect christians."

"No, the puritans did consume alcohol." Winnie responded.

"What?!" I asked in shock.

"They did?!" Mallory asked incredulously.

"The water often carried dangerous bacteria and the only way to purify it was to turn it into alcohol."

"Damn" Mallory stated before pounding back the shot she just poured. She grimaced at the taste as she swallowed.
" They didn't celebrate Christmas but they could probably out drink every 21st century alcoholic out there."

"Twas' better than contracting dysentery." Sarah shrugged.

I frowned and nodded in agreement.
"Fair enough."

"Well now that we have clean water." Mallory began, as she poured another tequila shot.
"Drinking is more of a recreational activity."
She threw the shot back with no hesitation.

"You are sickeningly good at that." I said with a look of distaste.

Mallory shrugged "It's one of my less favorable talents."
She poured another and held it out to us.

"Anyone?"

I scrunched up my face in disgust and shook my head.
"No fucking way."

Mallory smirked.
"Pussy" she teased.

I gave the finger in return.

Just then, Sarah grinned and took the shot out of Mallory's hand. She slammed it back like a spring breaker. By the way she swallowed it with such ease, you'd think she just drank lemonade or something.

"WOOOOO" Mallory cheered, pumping her fist in the air.
Sarah grinned wide.

"Oh good Mal you have a drinking buddy". I laughed sarcastically.

Both Winnie and Mary put their palms to their foreheads and shook their heads.

"The last thing she needs is encouragement". Winnie stated, clearly exasperated by her wild younger sister.

We were in for quite the evening.

   A couple hours and many tequila shots later, we all sat in the living room watching South Park. The stupidest show ever in my opinion, but it was Mallory's favorite when she was drunk. Her and Sarah lay on either side of me, both falling asleep in their drunken states. After a while, Winnie clearly got fed up with the dumb cartoon playing on the TV and began to head to bed. Mary got up and followed her, leaving Sarah asleep on the couch.