four

The day of the competition came and Ni-ki’s uneasiness about it really showed- just as the rest of the group. They became each other's support up until it was their turn to perform.

On stage, they thankfully relaxed and carried on with the performance.

Ni-ki feels a little embarrassed after seeing his whole family in the crowd, holding a different banner to support him. Despite all the cheers, Ni-ki can still clearly identify his adoptive brothers’ loud voices, Sunoo being the loudest of them all.

Finally, the competition ended. They are not the champion but they got second place. Ni-ki’s and the other dancers’ family came to their own sons to congratulate and praise them.

However, in every everyone, Sunghoon never belonged.

He was sitting alone at the far corner of the place, watching everyone getting hugs and praises with a blank face. His parents couldn’t make it, as usual. They are always busy and they will never spare a little bit of their time whenever Sunghoon showcases his many talents.

He was once a figure skater and he received no support from them, they even called it a waste of money. Sunghoon stopped competing in ice skating and changed his hobby to dancing, hoping he will receive the same support and attention when his twin joined a dance group- but it turns out Sunghoon is a different case for them. As if he was not part of the family, they never even once tried giving him a chance to prove himself.

“Congratulations, Sunghoon-hyung!”

Sunghoon looked up, he was welcomed by the sight of a girl smiling brightly at him.

For a brief second, Sunghoon thought it was a girl until he caught a glimpse of an uncovered tattoo on the girl’s arm. The realization came into him and it hit, the girl was actually a boy. Nishimura Riki.

+++

Ni-ki watched as Sunghoon’s expression changed once again, the disappointment clearly showing in his face.

He wanted to ask where’s Sunghoon’s parents were but he fought over that urge. He already knew that the third year male has a complicated relationship with his family, according to Jungwon.

So, in an attempt to make him feel a little better, Ni-ki sat beside the older boy and gave him a side hug. Only for Sunghoon to shrug his arms off and abruptly stood up, walking away with no other words.

Ni-ki wanted to follow and comfort the older boy but he saw Jungwon already running after Sunghoon. He was a bit hurt by the rude actions but he couldn’t get to blame Sunghoon. Maybe Sunghoon needs his best friend and not someone like him.

He let the feelings slide and just smiled to himself before going back to his own family, avoiding the unfamiliar look coming from his three adoptive older brothers.

+++

The next Monday, Ni-ki showed up in the school wearing another pair of skirts and blouses, yet again. His hair extensions ended over his shoulders and a yellow hair clip was attached to it on the left side of his ear. It is the clip Sunghoon had gifted him weeks ago.

Ni-ki was eager to show the third year male about it. They met at the staircase in the morning when Ni-ki was walking to his class and Jungwon and Sunghoon happened to ran after him- as they were already late to a class.

“Ni-ki!” Jungwon gasped, pulling the younger boy into a quick hug. “You’re still wearing blouses! I miss you and your hoodie!”

“This is a new collection from Mom’s favorite designer, she wanted me to dress in it today,” Ni-ki felt the urge to explain as a small smile played on his lips.