2

Two | Heart Struck

Two | Heart Struck

The lady's point of view.

Riding had always cleared my mind, Edward was worried with the possibility of an up coming war yet he would never hand over Uhtred, he knew if there was to be one that he played a large part in bringing victory to Wessex; he was only a newer king and the pressures were taking an obvious toll on the young man mentally fighting to be as great as his father before him.
Aldhelm had accompanied me, persistent that it was for my safety. When we arrived back in the safe walls of Winchester, he was even more persistent in helping me off my horse.
It was clear he was raised as a strict gentleman, it's why he seemed to keep his obvious feelings for Athelflaed a secret; one he would take to the grave.
The stable was only a short distance from the palace and in between it stood the ever infamous ale house that a majority of our soldiers reside in instead of their own homes.
It felt like I summoned a spirit for when I thought about it I heard the all too familiar voice of Osferth; the closest thing I'd come to know as a brother, he approached me slowly as if almost not sure if he recognised me either.

"It is you, oh how I've missed you"

Osferth knew his place and because of that he stood calmly infront of me but I did not care, I embraced him warmly,

"No longer a baby monk, a soldier it would seem?"

He chuckled lowly and almost dryly;

"Yes yes, I serve Uhtred now, my lady"

I should not have been surprised but I was, it seemed men flocked to be by his side even to this day.

"Join us for a drink then! It has been so long!"

Aldhelm looked at me, doubt present in his demeanour.
"Return to your lady my friend, I will be absolutely fine in this company"

A cautious nod as he watched me take a seat next to Osferth at one of the smaller tables out the front of the establishment, a mug of ale was poured for me and with that he left rather quickly, not even a minute after Sihtric and Finan emerged from inside, his arm wrapped around one of the whores that occupied the building, he was laughing ever so carelessly and I'm sure he would have continued if he hadn't locked eyes with my smirking face.

"Enjoying the establishments finer entertainment I see"

Uhtred let out a loud laugh from beside Osferth and before I could even blink again Finan had removed his arm from the woman and almost shoved her away from him like she was now infected with the plague.