3

Three | A Love Match for the Gods

The Lady Mikáel frequently visited the Winchester cemetery, monks walked about the grounds, eyeing her ever so suspiciously as she drank from a leather bound flask; the rich wine touching her tongue and calming her nerves as she leaned back on the headstone and spoke to her dead husband. It was partly the only way she could cope with his sudden and violent death.. for the little time she was in Winchester she visited nearly every day.
It was routine for them to share their days when he was still in the mortal realm.. when he died she had been too frantic to leave the only real support she had so they buried him there instead of in her own estate cemetery.
She hated that he was so far away, it had only been a year since his death but other young women were normally remarried off at this point, luckily some would say, she was the last standing of her families name and the only other Mikáel was Xavier's grand mother; who did not wish to see the girl married in any time other than her own.

She hadn't even noticed Athelflaed approach her and the small group of men a few yards back watching contently,
Athelflaed sat with her friend and spoke with her calmly and little did either know, Osferth told the others a story.. a story of a love match that all gods would bless.

"She was just eleven when she was told she was to wed, young Lord Xavier Mikáel.. he had been four or so years older than her at the time.. by twelve they were introduced.. by thirteen she was completely infatuated with him and by fourteen they were married and seemingly both so in love;

Their fathers could not have wished for a better matrimony than what they had, they adored each other.. it was odd for an arranged marriage to agree with each and everyone of the party members.. it was considered a real blessing, had her father not married her to him I would guess Edward would have been the next best option..
He was always more concerned for peace closer to home and his daughters happiness than the possibility of her becoming true royalty.

He went silent for a second as he looked at his friend and his sister, "So what happened"
Uhtred had spoken up,

"By eighteen the Dane raids had gotten worse, by nineteen he went to battle to protect Winchester, you were there my lord.."

That there had captured Uhtred's attention.. had he known the ladies late husband,

"He was mortally wounded, there was no way he could have survived it.. they brought his body home but the others and yourself returned to Cookham;
She had been waiting in the courtyard when it was announced the men were home, I remember her face, she was so excited.. I watched when she realised he wasn't there and when another of his men looked at her to confirm it;
They near had to restrain her.. the screams echoed through the town..
When she saw his body in the cart it was painful not just for her but for everyone around her to see her like that.. she clung to him for hours before Edward managed to get her to let go.."