1.05 - asshole

the group had decided to go to the CDC

the group had decided to go to the CDC. briar wasn't happy with the decision at all, she would've preferred for them to stay outside in the open. realistically, if somebody were to come and save them or find a cure, they would've already.

so, there briar sat, in the shotgun seat of the RV. she had full control of the radio, and had decided to put on taylor swifts 'fearless' album that had come out a few years ago. she had an obsession with said album, but the other people who were sat in the other places in the RV were not amused. she had sung her heart out to 'forever and always', before dale rudely switched off the CD, briar sighing before looking out the window.

——————————————

it had been an hour or so since they had to leave jim on the side of the highway. he had been bitten during the attack, and wasn't doing too well, so the group listened to his request and left him. they pulled up to the CDC, stepping outside while wielding their weapons. a disgusting smell engulfed them when they left their vehicles, covering their noses with their sleeves and rags. cautiously stepping up to the door, the shutters see,ed to be permanently locked, with no signs of life on the other side.

"hello? can you hear us?" rick questioned, stepping up to the door with his gun by his side. he started aggressively banging on the shutters, creating so much noise that geeks from the field behind them started to emerge. the group turned their back on rick as they begin shooting their guns at the walkers, taking down as many as they could.

"you led us to a damn graveyard, rick. should've gone to fort benning!" shane yelled at his partner and for the first time in a while, briar agreed with the man. he did lead them to shit and it seemed like he was doing it on purpose; he had nearly killed the group three times since he had joined them. rick ignored the groups pleas to stop yelling and get in the cars so they could all leave, instead screaming to the camera that was right above the group that whoever was in there was "killing us". this was like a light switch turning on, as the shutter opened quickly, a bright light blinding the group as they stood in front of the door, shock written on their faces.

 this was like a light switch turning on, as the shutter opened quickly, a bright light blinding the group as they stood in front of the door, shock written on their faces

doctor edwin jenner wasn't keen on letting the disheveled group in. he hadn't seen or spoken to a real person since his wife passed away at the beginning of the end. instead, he found great comfort in three things; his video diary, a bottle of wine, and his computer assistant, VI. the robot was extremely intelligent, and was always great company at the end of the day.

so when he decided to let the large group in, his life changed dramatically as soon has the doors opened.

"hello?" rick questioned into the empty abyss of the front room in the CDC. the tables had been turned, the chairs knocked over, and all the lights were out. "stop where you are," doctor jenner appeared, holding his shotgun in his hands as he appeared from the darkness, spooking the group slightly. "what do you want?"

"a chance," jenners strong persona faltered, considering his options. "fine, but on one condition. you all submit to a blood test." some members of the group nodded their head, satisfied with the deal, whereas others paled at the idea of having a needle stuck into their arm after being deprived of food and water.

the group had been given a short tour of the centre and being introduced to VI, before being led to a dull room and were lined up to have their blood drawn. briar was up next, sitting in the chair, her leg bouncing up and down. her blood was taken and she winced slightly, before standing up and walking to a different chair. everybody's had soon been taken, andrea stumbling forward and she would've fallen over if it wasn't for jacqui grabbing onto her quickly, explaining to a concerned jenner that the group hadn't eaten in days, a small lightbulb going off in his head.

jenner had decided to cook a dinner for the group, none of them declining. they were all sat around the large table as the adults had themselves drowning in red wine whereas the kids stuck to soda. briar and glenn were swaying together as they shared a bottle of wine, the two close to being blackout drunk. "you know, in italy, adults let their kids drink wine?" dale hinted at lori, who sighed slightly as he poured a small amount of wine into carls empty cup. he excitedly took a gulp, before coughing loudly and creating a loud 'ew!' sound. lori chuckled, pouring his wine into her glass and gave him some more orange soda. "yeah, better stick to soda pop, bud." shane said, "but doc, i've got a question. why are you the only one here?"

the group suddenly grew quiet and into an awkward silence, waiting for jenners response, who sat stiff in his chair that was further away from them. "they left. they left or they died. i stayed, i wanted to find a cure for this thing." shane furrowed his brows, "every last one?" jenner nodded his head, rick telling shane that this wasn't the time or place to start an argument.

———————

briar and glenn went back to their room, taking turns in showering. the woman stood in the shower, finding a source of entertainment in watching the dirt go down the drain. she got out, getting changed again before flopping on the bed next to glenn, both holding their own bottles of alcohol.

"do you-do you like rick?" briar slurred, hiccuping mid sentence. "he's okay. what-what about you?" "rick-ricks a fucking asshole! i mean, who comes in-in here and acts like their the new hero or some shit!" glenn laughed, leaning onto her as they both shared their drunken moment together.

after a few minutes of silence, their drunken selves passed out on the bed, practically on top of each other.

——————————————————————
gray speaks!

hi guys this is defo a shorter chapter i went through a bit of writers block :/ but happy belated valentine's day! love you guys lots <3333

word count: 1075