2.03 - wake

briar and ajax sat on a small bench that was in the middle of the field

briar and ajax sat on a small bench that was in the middle of the field. briars 14 year old brother insisted on knowing everything that had happened in the 2 years that he had been gone.

"uh, mom and dad got a divorce? oh yeah, and the apocalypse happened." ajax's eyes widened, his mouth falling open as he tried to understand the situation at hand. the siblings stayed silent for a few minutes, the quiet becoming more and more awkward as it went on.

"so, any hot boyfriends?" briar burst out laughing as her brothers immaturity, her eyes closed as she tried to regain her breath. she shook her head slightly, making ajax frown. "damn, still single huh. some things never change-" briar smacked him across the head, making him exclaim a small 'ow' as he rubbed the back of his skull. the two sat together, looking at the view in front of them.

"so what do you do all day? just sit here?" ajax nodded at her sister, sighing slightly. "i thought my life was boring."

briar had a feeling

briar had a feeling. she had this feeling whenever something was going to happen. she had that feeling when she was going to get shot, when the cdc was going to explode, when the camp was going to get overrun, and when ajax got murdered. her mind was on high alert throughout the hours that she was there, walking around the flowery field with ajax at her side. the peaceful silence was ripped apart by a growl. the growl was distinct and briar had recognised it instantly, but her brother stood still, frozen to the floor in confusion and fear. he was a few steps ahead of briar.

"ajax, get behind me," her instructions fell upon deaf ears, as his feet remained still and he was like a wax figure in a museum. the walker growled again, it's body hidden by the long flowers and grass surrounding the katz siblings. her hand reached for her knife, but was met with her jean pocket as her weapons seemed to disappear with the wind. she cursed under her breath, repeating her order to ajax who still refused to move. the growls became closer together and louder.

she saw the mangled arm reach for her brother, and pull him into the grasp of five walkers, a vice grip on his figure. she emitted a sharp scream, ajax's eyes becoming more lifeless as the geeks begun to rip into him, briars shaking body seemingly being held back by an unknown force. watching her poor brothers life be ripped from him again had given her a sight that she could never forget, her eyes refusing to look away from ajax as he fell to the floor, the group of walkers following him to the grassy floor.