Chapter 59

Madelaina:

I feel sleep wear away and try to move when I feel something stopping me.

Looking down, I see a bare forearm wrapped tightly around my middle, right underneath my chest.

Oh.

I purse my lips to suppress a giddy smile and scoot backwards into him.

"I know what you're trying to do."

I remember how his voice sounded last time we woke up together. It holds the same deepness and roughness it did then. But somehow, it sounds even better.

I hum in response.

"Go back to sleep, baby.' He squeezes me and inserts his leg between mine.

As much as I might like to object, on the contrary, I am still tired. So, I decide against any arguments and do as he says. This time.

Moving further into him, I relax and allow the warm song of his soft breathing to lull me back to sleep.

The next time I wake, it is to the distinctive sounds of camera clicking.

I must still be half dreaming.

I snuggle closer to the warmth under me, which my brain has just recognised is Lucas's chest. I inhale and relish in the hard-softness acting as my pillow.

But then voices sound somewhere in my room.

"Oh, just look at them."

"They're adorable."

I blink my eyes open.

What...?

"Oh, I can't wait until they have babies."

"They'll be so beautiful. And they'll inherit the best genes."

...wait...

My head snaps up at the same time Lucas's turns down.

Our eyes blow wide when we realise what's happening. We both whip our gazes towards the foot of my bed.

"Oh my god, mamma!"

"Jesus fucking christ, mamma!"

"Language, Luca." Verona berates her son while being engrossed with something on her phone.

"Don't be so dramatic, Della." My own mother says. "What did you expect?"

"Yeah." Verona agrees. "For us not to take photos and fantasise about the cute babies you're going to make?"

"Yes!" Lucas replies, exasperated. "That's exactly what I expect."

"But you look so adorable." She rationalises. "Vedere." She comes over, sitting on the edge of the bed next to us and turning her screen to face us.