A Businessman

"You're back!" Snotlout yelled happily when I got back to the Edge. He even had his arms in the air before quickly glancing at all the others and trying to play it cool.
"Uh, I mean, of course she's back. Didn't I tell you guys not to worry?"

"Snotlout, you were the most worried out of all of us." Ruffnut pointed out.

"Watch it." Snotlout warned.

"She's right. I remember you being on your knees when begging Hiccup to go find her." Tuffnut added.

"Haha, it's good to see you guys as well." I laughed as Snotlout looked more and more agitated.

"It's good to see you too." Hiccup said.

"Hey, Snotlout. How're you doing? We cool?"

"Yeah, of course." Snotlout winked at me, and Astrid just groaned.

"What was that about?" Ruffnut asked.

"It's nothing. Before I left, he said he loved me and I told him I didn't feel the same. I care for him like I care for all of you, but nothing else. He took it pretty hard."

"Snotlout proclaims his love for women left and right. Why would this be any different?" Astrid inquired.

"Well, I don't know how he usually is around women, but he seemed pretty sincere when he told me. Even in the short time I've known you guys, he's never seemed that honest or nervous before." The others looked at him all concerned.

"Hey, I'm always sincere and honest! There's no one more sincere or honest on this entire island." He boasted, trying to boost his ego, and we all just laughed.

The day after my return, the others were obviously curious and wanted to know everything that I did. Snotlout and Hiccup were the only ones who wasn't bombarding me with questions. I guess Snotlout was still pretty upset over the whole thing. Poor guy. I'd have to make it up to him at some point.

I explained as much as I could whenever there was a question. Ruffnut and Tuffnut wanted to know if I injured anybody while being away. Fishlegs wanted to hear if I met any dragons. Astrid was dying to know if I learned any new training techniques, and Hiccup stayed quiet since he knew I left for personal reasons.

I gave them the most detailed short answers I could come up with and told them everything from the boar I couldn't catch, to the Whispering Death I half trained and even my brief encounter with Viggo.

"Wait, hold up. You talked with him?" Astrid asked, shocked.

"Well, yeah." I answered casually.

"How did you get away?" She asked concerned.

"Easy, he let me go."

"Wait, he just let you leave?" Hiccup asked, seemingly getting concerned as well.

"Yep. He might be a Dragon Hunter, but he honestly didn't seem like such a bad guy. We talked, I rescued River and left without any trouble." The others looked concerned.

"Haley, are you feeling alright? Should I get Gothi?" Fishlegs asked.

"I'm fine. Why would there be anything wrong?"

"Uh, excuse me, "he wasn't such a bad guy"? Do you even hear yourself!?" Tuffnut shouted in disbelief. I guess these guys only know the worst sides of him.

"I'm just saying you might have different beliefs, but if you're just having a conversation with him, he's not that bad a person."

"He's tried to kill all of us multiple times and our dragons, not to mention he traps and sells dragons. How is he NOT the worst person ever?" Fishlegs freaked out. It would seem my belief that he's a decent guy underneath the surface was a lonely one.

"Fishleg's got a point, Haley. I wanna believe there's some good in him, but I just don't see it. He's done nothing but trick and fight us ever since we first met." Hiccup defended his friend.

"Ugh. Believe what you want, but I stick to my point. He's a businessman. An evil one, but a businessman nonetheless. I can respect that. Besides, is it really so different from what Trader Johann does? Johann might not be trading dragons directly, but he sells information on where to find them. That's just as bad in the wrong hands."

"How do you know Johann?" I knew I had said too much when Hiccup asked that question.

"Uh.. He comes to Viggo's Island, remember? I traded with him in secret while he was in the area." The looks on their faces told me they weren't buying it, but they remained silent as Hiccup spoke up.

"Alright. Benefit of the doubt for now. I'll ask Johann next time I see him if it's true. For now, everybody should get some rest." Hiccup walked out of the large building and disappeared, presumably going back to his hut. We all followed his lead and went to our huts for the night.

"They'd never understand, girl. They don't know what it's like having no one but yourself to depend on. Had it not been for you, I'd have died a long time ago. And, I don't know.. There's something about him that reminds me of you. You're both misunderstood, and so far, I'm the only one that's been able to see it. I don't doubt that he's a bad guy. He does sell dragons off to be slaughtered after all. I just think there's more to him than that. I've got it! We'll just have to prove to them that he's not such a bad guy. It'll be our secret project." Entering my hut,  I hugged River and went to bed.