Chapter 9 - Summer 1921

Jack motored into the centre of London in the Austin Tourer. It was a sunny day so he had lowered the canvas hood. As he made his way down Piccadilly to the Mayfair Hotel where Hoester had established his UK base, he felt more alive than he had done for almost a year. Working for Hoester and Deltic Sewing Machines had been hard. There were production targets to meet, new facilities to be installed and a succession of American executives passing through who had to be entertained. But today, Friday, 22nd July 1921, he was finished - done. In just a short while he would be receiving a bankers draft from Hoester for twenty three thousand pounds - the balance of his promised payment.

Jack tried to stifle a coughing fit that threatened to grip his body but it exploded into choking paroxysms which caused him to pull the car to an emergency stop by the curb. He fought to regain his breath. He was determined to survive the two or three years that his doctor had promised him - perhaps even cheat death and live a few years longer. He had given himself a week to clear up his affairs in London and then he would take off on the open road to 'who knows where'. But first he had to get as far as the Mayfair Hotel and lay his hands on that money.

After the wedding, life for Jed and Alice returned surprisingly quickly to a familiar routine. Alice continued to work in the bakery during the day but spent most evenings making furnishings and fitments for rooms that were still little more than shells. Though not taught to be practical, Alice had a natural ability to fathom out how things worked and to produce competent, if not always artistic, household items. Curtains were created from old parachute fabric that Jed had seen on sale in Frampton market. Cushions were sewn in a patchwork using discarded clothing and rugs were cut from old sacking.

Jed was working longer and longer hours in Dan's business and often when he returned home in the evening would complain to Alice at length about Dan's absence.

"Seems to me, Alice, that Dan's leaving me to pick up more and more of the work. I had to have words with him 'cos he'd gone off early yesterday to meet some cronies down the Fox and Hounds and left me to finish off a job that was needed for this morning. I think now we got this house he seems to think he owns us. Like he's done us this big favour and we're supposed to tug our forelock and be grateful to 'im."

"Well, in that case, Jed, you got to make a move to take over the business. If Dan's not pullin' his weight then you got to take over the reins and no more messin' about. The sooner you take control the better and then you can start paying yourself a bigger wage too."

At bedtime Alice and Jed would lay in each other's arms talking and drifting in and out of sleep. Making love seemed to require more effort than either of them could muster. But by some unspoken agreement Friday was designated the night when they would try again to consummate their union.

From the moment they opened their eyes on a Friday morning, palpable tension was in the air.

"What time are you back this evening, Alice?"

"Why are you asking? You know what time I'm back. It ain't no different because it's Friday."

"I know it makes no difference, my love. I was just wondering if you might be doing anything else after work, that's all."

"Like what?"

"No need to be like that," growled Jed grumpily as he cleared his plate from the table. "I was only trying to be a bit civil with you, that's all."

Friday evenings were even more tense. Neither Alice nor Jed had the vocabulary or the depth of understanding to discuss the problems openly. Instead, after various diversionary tactics such as rinsing clothes or preparing the next day's meal, they would end up in bed together facing the same dilemma.