Chapter 14 - August 1921

That night, after Alice and Jed had gone to bed, Jack sat up late reviewing what Alice had said earlier. On one level he was astounded by the audacity of her idea and the deception it involved. Three people pretending to the outside world that they were a harmonious family with a paying guest whilst in reality a pernicious web of deceit was being spun behind their closed doors.

 Yet there was a logic to what Alice had proposed, even if she wasn’t fully aware of it. Within three years he could be dead and then the child wouldn’t have a father. If everyone, including the child, believed that Jed was the father, then the deception could continue after his own death. And at least he would have three years with his son or daughter - some small compensation for dying.

 It was agreed that Jack would return to London and allow Alice to speak to Jed on her own. Alice was sure that she could persuade Jed to see the practicality of the proposition if she had time to nurse his inevitable hurt. Before leaving, Jack needed to meet with Jed to discuss the Maltings Barn bid. It was after all the reason for his sudden visit to Hope Cottage. The meeting was convened over breakfast the next morning.

 “That town clerk were in again today,” garbled Jed as he tried to talk and load his mouth with food at the same time. “He reckons we’re in with a good chance. It’s what he calls ‘a community project’ – something that’s paid for from local taxes and there’s many on the council want to see it go to a local person.”

 There was a noisy pause as Jed scraped the remaining breakfast from his plate.

 “Trouble is, this fellow told me, I’m not big enough and I don’t have financial security if something goes wrong.”

 “Well, that’s why I’m here to help,” replied Jack. “I’m your financial backer and I can provide financial guarantees. I’ve been working on a draft tender and that’s one of the points I’m making. Not only that, but I’m your business advisor. That means you can get on with the building work and I can look after any administration.

 “Do you know when they’re going to make a decision?”

 “Well, bids have got to be in by the end of the month. Then the council engineer has to make a recommendation to the council meeting in November. That’s when they’ll make their final decision.”

 “OK then, we’ve got a couple of weeks to put the finishing touches to the bid. That shouldn’t be a problem.”

 “I gotta say, Jack,” said Jed, pushing himself back in his chair, “it’s good having you round here. I don’t mind tellin’ you that when you first came, I wanted to see the back of you quick. But now, with you being a business partner and that, I’m glad to have you around, and I know Alice is too.”

 Jack hoped that Jed didn’t notice the bright red flush that spread across Alice’s face as she averted her gaze.

 Jack planned to leave after lunch the following day. He and Alice tried to remain at arm’s length during the morning to discuss their complex situation rationally but it wasn’t long before they were in each other’s arms again and making their way urgently up to Jack’s room where their clothing was discarded with breathless haste. Their love making was even more intense, as if time in this brief opening chapter of their relationship was running out. Their bodies locked together and their inhibitions were discarded as they hungrily sought satisfaction from each other.

 Alice spent the next two days rehearsing her conversation with Jed. He would be devastated when he learnt that she was having Jack’s baby and his first reaction would be self pity. Alice would have no alternative but to offer to leave but she felt sure Jed would resist this. When he did, she had to be ready with her counter offer. She would stay if Jack could come to live with them and play a part in bringing up the baby. All four of them would be a family. To the outside world, she and Jed would be mother and father and Jack would be a kind of benevolent uncle who resided as a permanent paying guest. That way she got to stay with Jack and she now realised that there was no compromise available on that issue. But Jed got a lot from the proposal too. She would care for him and cook for him as she had done already. There would be a baby to bring up too and as far as anyone else knew Jed was the proud father. And the business would survive and maybe prosper. Jack’s investment would remain and possibly grow. Jed could realise his dream of running a prosperous business.