Chapter Fourteen

"What do you mean we were outbid?" Loki's face darkened, green eyes glowering at the housing agent.

The other man blinked hard and fast, clearly nervous. "I'm sorry, sir, but another buyer, Mr. Korse, came in last night and offered us more than the initial sum. Since no paperwork has been signed, we are within our rights to take the better offer."

This never would have happened if he had any idea of who I am, Loki thought, tightening his jaw. This wasn't Asgard, no one knew him—he held no power by title. "How much more?"

Morr (that was the label on the name plate) shook his head. "We've already given him the paperwork. You cannot rebid. We've pledged to sell the house to him by the end of the month. I'm sorry, Mr. Laufeyson." He didn't look sorry.

I could make him sorry. The house had been perfect. There was enough space for him and Jadis, as well as an additional room just in case. Everything was ready other than the furnishings, which he was going to leave up to his fiancée because he thought she might enjoy decorating the place. It was in a quiet neighborhood not too far away from the center of the city, so they could have space, yet be around people whenever they wished. Morr had promised to bring the paperwork to them the day after they agreed to purchase the place, but now he was fidgeting as he told them he had passed it along to someone else.

Jadis put a hand on his arm, rubbing her thumb on his sleeve to sooth him.

Loki took a breath and put on his most charming voice. "I'm sure there's something you can do for us, Morr. It wouldn't take much to tell the other bidder that you had forgotten you already gave us the paperwork. I would make sure your time wasn't wasted." He smiled, holding out a stack of money he had conjured inside his suit.

Morr's eyes gleamed with longing as he stared at the money, but he managed to shake his head. "I can't. I'm sorry. I'll help you find another house."

"So now you decide to be true to your word," Loki said bitingly. He stood, assisting Jadis up as well. "I'll be back tomorrow to discuss this again." He opened the door for his fiancée, ignoring the agent's weak farewell as he ushered her out.

Jadis sighed softly. "I suppose we'll just have to fall in love with another home."

"Not just yet, my love," Loki said. "I may be able to convince him."

They returned to their inn to while their evening away with reading, food, and music. When night fell, Jadis climbed into her own bed and Loki into his. She found the idea of waiting until after marriage to share a bed and all that went with it romantic and very un-Sakaarian.

Loki waited for an hour for Jadis to fall into a deep sleep, then carefully slipped out of their room and travelled back through the now darkened streets to the housing agency. It was locked up for the night of course, but Loki had a few tricks up his sleeve and snuck his way in regardless.

After a few minutes of searching, he found the document he was looking for.

"Lenric Korse," he muttered to himself, scanning the contents of the paper. He smirked, then filed it away again and returned to the streets, casually strolling down them like he had no particular destination in mind.

Eventually, he came upon the house he was looking for. The lights were on. Good. He didn't really feel like sneaking in and waking his target up. Instead, he knocked on the door.

A slightly overweight man who was shorter than Loki opened the door with a glass bottle in his hands that smelled of alcohol. He leaned on the doorframe, blink rapidly as he tried to focus on Loki. "Whadda want?" he slurred sleepily.

"Are you Lenric Korse?"

"Yeah."

"Are you about to buy a house through a man named Morr?"

"Yeah."

"Excellent." Loki flashed him a grin. "I want you to give me the contract you signed."

Korse peered at him suspiciously. "What fer?"

Loki put on an innocent face. "I was instructed to inspect it for you."

"Oh." The other man fell silent for a moment, trying to think through his drunk haze. "I'll have to gofindit. Muh pet hid it so muh wife wouldn't eatit." He left the door open while he ambled away. Loki could only hope he was going to find the document and bring it back, not get distracted along the way.

He waited a for a few minutes and was just about to go inside when Korse returned, holding a paper out to him. "Here ya go."

Loki took it and was pleasantly surprised to see the man had brought him the right paper. "Thank you. Now..." He slammed the man against the doorframe, holding a knife to his neck. "Tell no one what happened tonight. You will go to Morr tomorrow morning and tell him you're not going to purchase the house, but don't tell him why. Make up whatever excuse you want to, but if he finds out what truly happened, I will hang you upside down and slit your stomach so your bowels hang out for all the world to see. Do you understand?"

Korse whimpered and nodded slightly, wincing when the knife gave him a small cut.

"Good." Loki made the knife disappear and leaned back. "Have a nice evening." He turned and strolled away, leaving the other man shaking in his doorway.

Loki held up the paper that contained the deal Korse had struck with Morr as he walked. He stared at it intensely for a moment, and smiled in satisfaction when it burned, melting into ashes. He threw the dust behind him, then brushed off his hands with a handkerchief before turning a corner to return to Jadis.