I got laid off

Mila gasped in shock.

"You're firing me?" the mortal woman pouted, "Is this because of the rose oil? Look, Glorfindel found my bag and I have it-"

Elrohir placed his hand on Mila's shoulder, halting her speech. "I am not that vain, Mila," he said with an almost offended look, "We just think that you're taking your job too seriously."

"I love my job," Mila whined, "Please take me back or else I'm going to die of boredom."

Elladan rolled his eyes and put his fork down on his plate. "Mila, you almost died doing your job. What does that say about us? You're our guest. We don't usually employ our guests."

"But-"

"You just don't fit in for the job."

Mila was speechless. All this time she managed to do everything they asked. She even helped Ilya who was in charge of the twins' room and even go beyond by baking sweets for the the young lords of Rivendell. What went wrong?

"Has my work not satisfactory?" Mila asked, her voice tainted with disappointment at herself, "I can do better, if you correct me and give me a chance."

Elladan and Elrohir both raised their left brows in unison.

"Mila, you're taking this way too seriously. You did amazing. It's not that," Elrohir said with a frown.

"You were just too good for us," added Elladan.

Mila took a deep breath, upset. She rested her head on her hands. "That's exactly what an employer said when laying off an underperforming employee."

Elladan and Elrohir looked at each other, knowing that they carried out their plan badly.

"Don't worry about your wage as it's not actually a wage, you know it's your allowance from the house as our guest and despite not helping us anymore you will still receive the same amount every mont-"

"I don't care about the money," Mila cut Elrohir's rant, her eyes reddened with a mix of disappointment, "You both saved me. I don't care if I'm not being paid. I just want to work for you."

Mila's eyes began to fill with moisture. The twins sudden rejection felt to her as if she was not needed anymore. It made her feel lonely, as the two was the closest thing to family she had in this strange world.

The twins realized their mistake. They didn't account the importance of her job, or what it meant to her. In fact, both elves was touched upon realizing that Mila's work wasn't just a mean to ward off boredom, but that she did it out of loyalty to them.

"Mila," Elladan called her gently and took her hand, for a moment seemed to be at loss when he saw how upset she was, "We were just thinking of promoting you. That's why you need to give up helping us."

"Promote?" Mila looked up, eyes wide, "Why didn't you just say so?!"

The twins of Rivendell both let out a sigh of relief when Mila's upset expression left immediately as soon as Elladan said those words.

"Should've started with that," Elrohir mumbled.

Elladan chuckled. "You can't work with us anymore because you're promoted to different department than us."

Mila shook her head. "I don't want to work for anyone else. I don't have to get promoted."

"It's not just anyone though."

"You're too smart to be a servant. With that brain of yours, you are more suited to be an assistant."

"No, please."