CHAPTER 3

Elita padded towards the Spacebridge, sniper-rifle in her servo, acting as if she was on a leisurely walk. She quickly came upon the building, seeing Autobot subordinates standing idly by, chatting and joking. Close to a third of the cubes they were provided were full and stacked off to the side, one of the giant tubes of Energon depleted. Ultra Magnus was nowhere to be seen. When the special-operations commander approached, one bot pointed her out to the others, and they all looked at her.

"You're supposed to be working." She snapped.

"Apologies, Commander." One of the Autobots said.

Elita rolled her optics. "Get back to work." She said.

The Autobots swiftly returned to their task, while the commander looked around again. Ultra Magnus hadn't returned during her interaction with the soldiers, and he didn't comm ahead to say where he was. She turned away, opening a private comm.

"Optimus, has Ultra Magnus returned to HQ?" She asked.

"No." Optimus replied, "Is he not at the Spacebridge?"

"Can't find him." Elita said.

"Then where the hell could he be?" The Prime muttered to himself.

After a moment's pause, he spoke again, sounding incredibly angry.

"That back-stabbing..." he cut himself off, sighing angrily, "Alerting all divisions: if Ultra Magnus is found, detain him and alert me. He is not to be trusted. Ironhide will be overseeing military operations until further notice."

Elita was caught off guard by the order but didn't say anything. Ultra Magnus was a traitor that shouldn't have been given a second chance in the first place. She turned back towards the working Autobots, simply watching them and occasionally glancing around for the traitor.

====== ====== ====== ====== ======

Megatron and Ultra Magnus sat at the conference table, Starscream and Thundercracker standing at either side of their leader; Jetfire and Skywarp stood at either side of the Autobot. Both bots stared at each other, not speaking. The Autobot military commander sighed, smoke blowing out.

"I know it appears suspect of me to come here." He said.

"Indeed." Starscream hissed, "Why're you here, Autobot?"

"Starscream, that's unnecessary." The Decepticon leader spoke sternly, then looked back at the Autobot, "I share his curiosity, though. Why attempt negotiations now when you tried to kill me?"

The Autobot military commander seemed to hesitate on that question. "While reflecting on our battle earlier, I realized that I've lost my way." He finally said, "It may seem odd, but I truly want peace. However, Optimus does not, he never did. He just wants power."

"Your point?" Megatron asked, growing impatient.

"I want us to make peace with our factions. Maybe if you and Optimus were to see optic-to-optic, this war could finally end." Ultra Magnus said.

"Like that would happen any time soon." Thundercracker snapped, "Megs, he's a 'Bot. He could be trickin' us."

Megatron looked conflicted – he wanted to defend his old friend, but Thundercracker also had a point. In the end, he sighed, bowing his helm and standing.

"I'm sorry, Magnus, but I cannot trust you just yet." He said, "You've murdered thousands of Cybertronians and committed atrocities against your own people."

"I was forced to." Ultra Magnus argued, "You know how Optimus is."

"It doesn't matter if you were forced or not. You're loyal to the Autobot cause, not to Cybertron." Megatron said.