Chapter 27

*Maya's POV*

"Dylan over here," I say turning a corner as I see guards up ahead. He follows close behind me and I run right into someone. I fall backwards a few steps and they end up on their butt.

"Maya?!" the person says catching my attention.

"Professor Bloom," I say shocked. "I thought you were dead," I say.

"Why would you think that? Oh yeah! Maybe because your stupid friend tried to get rid of me," he spats at me.

"Don't talk about Thomas like that," I warn my anger boiling.

"Well now that he's not here I can just take you now," he says walking towards me. I back away slowly and he keeps coming closer.

"Hey! Leave her alone," Dylan says pushing me behind him. Professor Bloom attacks Dylan and they wrestle around.

"Shh," I warn them looking behind us hoping the guards don't hear us.

They continue to throw punches and attack each other. I don't know what to do until someone grabs me from behind and puts their hand over my mouth. I scream but it comes out muffled.

"Take her to the anatomy ward," Professor Bloom says to my kidnapper.

I struggle under their grip and watch as professor Bloom knocks Dylan down and starts punching him continuously. I watch the blood trickle out from his nose and his lip bust open. Something inside of me ignites and I get a big adrenaline rush.

I elbow the person behind me in the stomach and turn around and punch them in the face. They fall down to the ground holding their now bleeding nose. I turn around and kick Bloom off of Dylan.

I pick him up and put his arm around me walking towards the exit up ahead. I hear two people coming toward us and I see professor Bloom and another person who attacked me earlier.

I set Dylan on the ground leaning him against the wall and glare at Bloom.

"Stop Maya. Just give up. You've already been defeated. We have this whole place surrounded. There's no way out," he says. The person next to him pulls a gun from behind their back and rage runs through my body.

The lights overhead start to flicker on and off in the whole building. Bloom looks around and notices my now glowing body. He backs away slowly and the man holding the gun shoots it at me. The bullet whisks by my side and barely scrapes it.

I wince at the pain but my energy is so strong I forget about it. The lights go out and everything around me starts to float again.

Professor Bloom looks terrified and I walk over to him. He tries to get away but his feet are off the ground and he can't move as quick. I grab a hold of him and pull him towards me.

"You have no idea what you're up against. Tell your little army that I'm not giving up. I will keep fighting until you are all dead," I say looking into his fear filled eyes.

"How are you doing this?" he asks.

"Haven't you heard? I'm not the normal helpless alien girl everyone thinks I am," I say before pushing him back into the wall. I run over to Dylan and help him up before exiting the building. I have to hold him close to me so he won't go floating away like everything else around me.

Once I get outside, I see that the sky is filled with dark clouds swirling in a circle. I hear people around me screaming and cars beeping.

Far off into the distance I see a bright beam shooting up into the sky where the clouds are swirling. It looks like something out of a superhero movie.

I then realize it has to be coming from my house. I start running as fast as I can manage with Dylan at my side. I don't even know if he's conscious right now.

"Maya," he whispers after a while of running. I look over at him and he looks like he's in a lot of pain.

"Yes?" I ask. He looks down and I see blood coming out of his shoulder. I realize it's from a bullet. I instantly stop and set him down. I inspect his arm and it's bleeding uncontrollably.

"No, no, no. Dylan please stay with me," I say taking off my shirt and tying it around his shoulder. Luckily I had multiple layers on today.

"You have to go Maya," he says. It reminds me of what happened to Thomas.

"No I'm not leaving. I'm not letting you die like Thomas," I say tears streaming down my face.

I pick him up and put his good arm around me and continue running but this time faster.

After reaching my house I run inside. It's hard to though because the force coming from the beam is pushing me back.

I set Dylan down on the couch and grab a first aid kit. I pull out the tweezers and go to take out the bullet. Once I get it out after a painful few minutes, I clean his cut and stitch it up. I'm surprised I was capable of doing such a thing but it helped that my "dad" let me take a lot of different courses including an emergency wound course.

I get Dylan some water from the kitchen and set it down next to him. I then go look for my mom.

"Mom? Mom!" I yell trying to find her. I come into her office and see she's on her computer.

"Maya?" she asks seeing me.

"Mom," I say relieved and pull her in for a hug.

"What are you doing? Why is there a beam coming out of our house?" I ask anxiously.

"I'm sending a distress signal. Once the one I tried earlier didn't work, I decided to do a bigger one. Something bad is going on and I don't know what it is. We need you to save us," she explains.

"From what? What is going on?" I ask.

"I don't know. But I do know that you were sent her for a reason. I'm going to get you home ok," she says. I am at a loss for words so I just nod.

"It will only be a few more minutes before I run out of power. Hopefully they see it," she says.

I nod and go back into the living room where Dylan is.

"Dylan?" I ask shaking him slightly. He doesn't move so I check his pulse. It's still there but it's a little weak. I sigh in relief and sit next to him. I hold his hand in mine and wait.

All I can do is wait. We're coming.

~~~~~