Chapter 1: If The Mistress wears red then what does the Wife Wear?

December 2018

"I've been dreaming of a White Christmas"

Michael Bublé played down the streets of New York. Snow fell from the sky, hopefully, the snow would last until Christmas. I've always wanted to wake up to a white Christmas. Holding my purse tightly I looked into the many windows decorated for the holiday season. On my way home from shopping I passed by an old toy story my parents used to take me to. Every year we would visit the toy store. Never to buy toys but to meet Santa Claus. I smiled at the memory of my brother, my sister, and me. It feels like so long ago we were getting lost in the city, staring and hoping we would get every single toy that was displayed behind the glass window.

I miss my brother. Christmas is not the same without him here.

Sighing and placing the memory back into the draws in my mind, locking them away I traveled home. Making my way down the final block I bowed my head thanking the doorman who opened the door for me. When I lifted my head he lifted his as well. The old man smiled with a soft gaze.

"What are you doing this Christmas Ms.Y/L? Donating toys again?" he asked. I nodded my head removing my scarf from covering my mouth. "Yes. I was able to gather a lot more toys this year so I'm sure there will be enough for the children" the old man smiled. His cheeks turned a shade of pink. The cold breeze was let in by the slightly opened lobby door. "Are you cold?" I asked gesturing my scarf for him to take. He shook his head. "Oh no just a little, but I'm fine really" He waved his hand away. "I can't take this," He said pointing to my scarf. "Besides," he began ", You've already given me a gift this morning," I shook my head. He was referencing the Christmas card I gave to him before I left to go shopping.

"Don't be ridiculous Tom! Take the scarf, I don't need it. My husband buys me one every year. I think he thinks I can't keep track of them" Tom chuckled giving up and taking the scarf from my hands. "Thank you Ms.Y/L," He said wrapping the scarf around his neck. I shook my head my eyes meeting him with a smile. "I told you before Tom please call me Y/n" He chuckled shaking his head cold air escaping his lips. "I will try my best to remember Y/N" I smiled bowing again and waving him goodbye.

The elevator dinged letting me know it was time to step inside. The liftman pressed the twenty-fifth bottom. Being that I've lived here for so many years, Jerry already knows what floor I get off.  He smiled as I walked inside holding the elevator does so they wouldn't close on me. Greeting me as I walked In Jerry like everyone else today had wished me a Merry Christmas, I wished him one in return. Once set into the golden elevator I checked the items in my bag one last time making sure everything was fine. Seeing the watch I bought my husband was still in the bag and didn't magically grow legs and walk away allowed me to breathe. I closed my eyes listening to the soft Christmas music that played. Swaying back and forth enjoying the vibe until the elevator dinged. Before leaving I remembered another item in my bag. Turning around to Jerry I stopped him before heading back down. 

"Wait Jerry" he startled surprised. He cleared his throat, "Yes Ms.Y/L?" he asked his old eyes focused on me. "I almost forgot," I said reaching into my bag and handing him the white envelope. "Merry Christmas" Every year I gave the staff Christmas cards, it is the least I can do. Jerry accepted it bowing his head slightly, a hint of pink rising on his warm cheeks. "Thank you," He said before I left him for the night. 

Getting off the elevator I reached into my purse to take out my keys. Walking closer to my apartment door I heard soft music playing from the inside. He must have something planned. Maybe Christmas came early for me. I smiled to myself excited as I jiggled my keys in the keyhole of my front door. Biting my lip I thought of all the things I'd do with my husband for planning such a romantic night before Christmas.