Chapter Six: When habits die hard

Don't have much unless to say except enjoy the new chapter!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Another World With My Smartphone: The Lost Hero

Chapter Six: When habits die hard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."

-Samuel Johnson

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

'I know it was somewhere around here...' Alex thought as he wandered the market district of Amanesque town just as the sun began to set.

The girls had decided to retire at the local inn once they had restocked their traveling supplies, not that Alex could blame the twins, as driving that cart seemed like a lot of work. However, Alex had decided to go back to Reflet instead to save money since paying for another inn room for himself was beyond stupid. Yet, before Alex would leave, there was something at the market district that had caught his eye on their way to the local inn. He had sworn that he had seen a sign for some kind of fortune teller services, and curiosity got the better of him. In his old world, there were fortune tellers and soothsayers throughout history; diviners, psychics, and witches, many names for the same thing.

Frauds.

At least, that was the case until Quirks came into existence, as there were indeed quirks that could see into the future. The fortune-telling industry blew up early in the Quirk Era, with hundreds of people using their apparent future-sight Quirks to tell people's fortunes. Of course, there were still frauds, be they people who pretended to have such powers or whose powers were still greatly misunderstood. Yet, once society got its collective shit together, the world's governments began cracking down hard on such businesses with stringent licensing required for such services.

That being said, this was a new world with access to magic.

While sure, this fortune teller might just be a fraud who uses the illusion of magic, or they might have a new Null magic Alex could learn if they were legit. He could even gain insight into how the locals view superstitions and fortune tellers just by seeing how they operated. After all, Pre-quirk Western versus Eastern diviners had utterly different ways of telling one's fortune. Regardless, he had nothing to lose except maybe some coin and a few minutes of his time.

As Alex walked past stalls, he noticed that many were closed or in the process of closing shop.

'Well, in the worst-case scenario, I can just use Gate to come back on once we're done with the job,' Alex figured as he continued down a familiar road. He had to be close by where he had seen the sign earlier. His azure eyes followed the different shop signs that mostly contained drawings of what services they provided, with only the occasional sign actually containing any writing on it. 'I wonder what the literacy rate is in this Kingdom? Can't be too high if they're still using these kinds of signs...'

'We might not be at the Capital...but I'm learning a lot just by walking around,' Alex observed as he reached the shop he was looking for, and judging from the dimmed lights, they were closed. The young man turned his head to see the sign with the image of a crystal ball and words he could read in Common.

Madam Fortunata's insights into the future.

Love? Fortune? Status?