Chapter Eleven

I fidgeted with the fabric of my dress as I walked into the dining hall. Aemond and Aegon were speaking with each other and Helaena was leaning over the table in her seat next to them. When she heard me enter she looked over and shot up, hurrying toward me. She wraps her arms around me and I nuzzle my face in her soft hair. It was a relief. This evening, I said my final goodbyes to my cousin, knowing I needed to move forward because sulking would not bring him back or change his decisions. Kermit left and I did not say goodbye, I could not bring myself to face him for some mysterious reason.

Helaena pulls away from me and holds my arms in hers, "I'm sorry about your cousin, tis' tragic really. Now he is off to face the trials of the gods."

I give her a half smile and glance over at Alicent and Rhaenyra, who are both gazing upon us with a strange expression. There was something sad in both of their eyes and I could not quite place my finger on it.

"Come join us Ges," Helaena brings me back to reality.

"Ah, yes. Of course," I shake my head and flash her a quiet grin, walking over to the empty chair. Aemond spares me a small glance then turns back to his brother.

I swallow then my attention is captured by the sound of doors opening and footsteps entering the room. Those who are sitting stand, and those who are already standing turn to face the entering King, who is being carried in a chair. We follow with our eyes as the King is placed between Alicent and Rhaenyra, quietly taking a seat. I glanced at Aemond who was seated next to me at the head of the table. His eye was glued to his nephew, Lucerys, with a small blazing fire.

The king spoke sickley, "How good it is...to see you all tonight...together."

Queen Alicent leans in his direction, "Prayer before we begin?"

"Yes."

Alicent places her elbows on the table and folds her hands, "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long." Alicent prayer as I look over at Aemond with a peaking eye, wanting to smile at his prayerful composure. Alicent finishes, "And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

I catch Daemon making a sarcastic expression and laughing to himself. I frown at him, a disgusted look on my face. Viserys speaks once again after Alicent's prayer, "This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses." The King pauses as both of the betrothed couples look at each other, a grin on their faces. "A toast to the young Princes," Viserys continues, "and their betrothed."

"Hear, hear!" A chant rings out as cups are raised.

I see Aegon whisper something to Jace and Baela, but I cannot quite hear. Viserys directs his cup in Luke's direction, "Let us toast as well, Prince Lucerys...the future Lord of the Tides."

Luke flashes me a shy smile as I raise my cup to him. Rhaena reassures him and they exchange childish grins. My eyes travel quickly to Aemond who is still staring daggers at the boy as he takes a swift drink. Aegon leans back over to Jace as he continues to whisper in his ear. I crane my neck to look as Jace clenches his jaw and snaps back at the blonde. I took another sip of wine, invested on whatever was going on over there. I almost didn't notice the King had stood, two hands on the table to support himself.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table." The King's voice is shaky, "The faces most dear to me in all the world, yet grown so distant from each other...in the years past."

The King reaches up and fiddles with his mask, making me take another large swig of wine. He pulls the gold off of his skin, revealing a distorted and rotting face. I run my tongue over my teeth and wave the cup-bearer over, ready to drown myself in the bitter liquid.