Part 1: Freedom Through Death - Chapter 1

(This is a work of fiction and not historically accurate) 

1.

15th century Joseon

A blood moon was considered an ominous sign. The offices of Astrology and Rites were scrambling to find meaning in the event and prepare for ceremonies meant to ward off disasters. Meanwhile, the people of Joseon hid inside their homes, closed their doors and prayed for the heavens to spare them.

The king, however, stood outside his quarters and looked up at the sky with confidence as it turned a crimson red. His first son had been born during a similar astrological event; cunning ministers and paranoid subjects had tried to use this as a justification to cast off the crown prince as ill-fated -cursed, even- and the king had silenced them by brutally taking their lives, leaving the palace's roads coated in red. A blood moon, he believed, was the heavens' reminder of the weight of power carried by the royal family.

He knew his popularity had declined over the years as he had spent the kingdom's funds on fruitless military expeditions. His subjects regarded him as impulsive and feared him, yet ultimately he had lost their respect by disregarding the toll the continuous military campaigns had taken on ordinary people.

As a prince, he had been ambitious, wanting to make Joseon a better, less corrupt place. His love for his gentle and virtuous wife, the late queen, motivated his desire to strengthen the power of the royals. However, influential members of the council, especially Left State Councilor Park No Li, did not approve of his boldness and defiance and had schemed to have the queen assassinated to keep him in line.

And so his beloved wife had been poisoned, and the Jin family, opponents of Park No Li, had been framed for the murder and annihilated. With no evidence to act on his suspicions, and avenge his wife, the king, crippled by grief, fear and the recognition of his own weaknesses, spent his time drinking and sending his army hither and yon to make a show of power. What he feared the most was for his sons, Crown Prince Yi Jin, and the young Prince Wook, to suffer the consequences of his failure and end up being eliminated like the late Queen, their mother.

In many ways, the crown prince reminded him of himself in his younger and prouder years. Yi Jin's boldness and fearlessness, sometimes to the point of stupidity, worried him, but the fact that he had also inherited his mother's virtue and kindness, qualities the king himself lacked, reassured him that, in the end, the prince had what was needed to bring to life the changes he dreamed of.

For that reason, he was determined to protect his sons with all his might and had risked awakening Park No Li's thunder once more when he had picked a crown princess not endorsed by the councilor. She was the daughter of the chief royal secretary, the only man left in his court that he truly trusted. She had been raised modestly and did not covet power or riches. She was a beautiful young woman driven by duty and a genuine affection for the crown prince.

In that last act of defiance, he had to promise his younger son, Prince Wook, to the left state councilor's daughter. He knew it was a risky move; that Park No Li might try to remove the crown prince and princess to place Prince Wook and his daughter on the throne, giving him a monopoly on power by making them his puppets. However, since his greed and motivations were clear to most in court, and the people of Joseon had taken a liking to the bright crown prince, murdering him without risking his own head would not be as effortless as it had been planning the late Queen's assassination under the oblivious eyes of the King.

The spring air was warm and fragrant. The crown prince, in his silver robe, stood a moment while crossing the bridge over the pond, to admire the plum petals swirling and delicately landing on the water. The crown princess was observing him from afar. He had always treated her with respect, but also distance. The loss of his mother was the reason for his reserve, according to her father.