Chapter 4

4.

As they did every evening, they all gathered in Master Lee's courtyard for dinner. It was an unusual custom for Yi Jin, who was used to eating alone in his empty chamber, his eunuch and court ladies not daring to even look his way. Lee Ara had been keeping her distance from both the crown prince and Hung San. She had pretended not to have noticed the commotion this last one caused that night. The truth was that she didn't really know what she desired and did not like the fact that a lot of decisions seemed to have been made about her, without her even ever being included in the conversation.

Suddenly a soldier walked in, looking agitated, and interrupted their dinner. "There is news from the palace," he said.

"What is it?" Yi Jin asked.

"Prince Wook... has fallen deathly ill and is not expected to make it through the night."

There was a long silence as the Jurchens around the table either looked at the crown prince solenmy, or down at the floor. Yi Jin, wide-eyed, searched the messenger's face for any sign of lies, while remembering the promise he had made to his younger brother before he had left for the border, how he had promised him to teach him archery. The crown prince closed his eyes, trying to reconcile the sinking emptiness he felt in his chest. A tear slowly rolled down his face.

Lee Ara wished she could reach across the table and wipe it off, but instead she stated coldly, "You have to go back now. Or there will be another bloody war for the throne."

The crown prince remained silent for a while before responding, "I will leave tomorrow morning." Without meeting her eyes, he got up and walked back to his room.

Yi Jin stared at the dusty ceiling for hours. He would miss this room, he thought, more than he had ever missed his luxurious quarters in the palace. He sighed painfully, wishing he could give his strength to his younger brother and die in his place. He had selfishly sacrificed Prince Wook in order to live an easier life. Going against his fate had brought the heavens' wrath upon the royal family and unjustly struck his young brother. He had abandoned him, and now he would have to pay for his sin.

The room's doors opened slightly and Lee Ara quietly walked in. Yi Jin watched her as she approached and lay down next to him. "What... are you doing?" he asked, confused.

"Can't you control yourself? I just want to lie here."

The crown prince cleared his throat. "Control...I" His voice faltered as Lee Ara rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes. Slowly, he put his arms around her and held her tightly against him.

"Your heart is beating so fast, I don't know if I will ever be able to fall asleep," Lee Ara joked.

She did fall asleep. Yi Jin held her, listening to her regular breathing as hours passed, dreading the arrival of morning. He wanted to keep her by his side. Even if he had to go back, he couldn't leave without her. I should claim her, he thought, make her my woman. He rolled so that he was on top of her and started untying her blouse, but she intercepted his hand.

"I told you to control yourself," she reprimanded him as she opened her eyes. The prince sat up as she let go of his hand.

"Come with me," he pleaded, with a faint smile. "Be my witness against Park No Li." Lee Ara looked at him for a while. It sounded more like begging than a request.

"Yes, I will come with you," she finally said. She knew it was risky. A woman like her should live in the shadows, rather than stand in the light, but something was pushing her to follow him. It wasn't her affection for the crown prince, but rather a feeling that this was the way her life was supposed to unfold. She wondered if she truly had made her own path after surviving her late father -or had that road been drawn for her all along? Whatever it was, she wasn't afraid to follow it.