Chapter 3

3.

On a dark, moonless night, as Hung San, Yi Jin, Lee Ara and her adoptive father were gathered in the courtyard for dinner, a soldier hurried over, interrupting their drunken and trivial chatter. "Sir, there is news from the North."

Master Lee turned to face the messenger. "What is it?"

"Mongols are raiding villages near the border with the wild Jurchens." The soldier lowered his head.

"How many men?" Lee Gong asked after clicking his tongue.

"About a hundred."

The Jurchen leader turned back to face his daughter. "Lee Ara, Hung San, you know what to do."

Much against his will, the crown prince's mind drew a clear picture of Lee Ara and Hung San riding together to battle, side by side, closer than ever. He cleared his throat. "I will come as well."

"What do you mean?" Lee Ara asked, incredulous.

"I will come with you to fight off the Mongols."

Lee Gong's daughter scoffed. "Why would you fight the Mongols? This has nothing to do with Joseon."

Yi Jin looked at her defiantly. "I have been training with you and your soldiers every day, so why shouldn't I fight alongside them?"

Lee Ara got up. "No," she refused categorically.

"He can go," Master Lee intervened. His daughter was about to protest but was quickly discouraged by Master Lee's glare. She took a deep breath and declared, "We leave early," before walking away with Hung San.

"Will you be staying behind?" Yi Jin asked Master Lee when they were alone.

"I am getting old and Lee Ara can lead men better than me, you will see." He smiled proudly. "Come with me."

He motioned for the prince to follow him to his room, which was cluttered with artifacts and rusted swords. Lee Gong opened a large chest and pulled something out with caution. "You will need this." He handed Yi Jin a lamellar armor, made with multiple pieces of thick leather and steel. The crown prince ran his fingers over the rugged skin. Lee Gong's armor, he thought, was probably soaked in his opponents' blood.

Yi Jin couldn't sleep that night. He looked at the armor beside him and waited for dawn. When the first rays of sunshine rose above the horizon, he put the armor on. It fit him perfectly, and he headed outside. The fortress's streets were still quiet, though men were gathering by the stables and preparing horses, blades and arrows. Lee Ara wore a fitted black leather armor lined with fur, and a sharp silver pin pierced her topknot. She was examining the warriors and horses carefully.

"Didn't that man say that there were about a hundred Mongols?" The prince glanced around; no more than fifty soldiers were gathered here.

"Yes," Lee Ara responded, and looked at him after tightening up her horse's girth. "We don't need any more men." She frowned. "Why are you wearing..." She recognized Lee Gong's armor, and her eyes opened wide in shock. Hung San was right behind her, and his lips twitched when he saw what she was looking at. Without another word, Lee Ara turned around and walked back to her house.

She found Master Lee sitting calmly in his room, enjoying some tea. He didn't even raise his head when his daughter stormed in. "What are you doing?" she demanded.

"What do you mean?" he asked innocently while sipping on his tea.

"Giving him your armor."

Master Lee smiled and looked up at her. She was fuming. "He has to stay safe, doesn't he?"