Chapter 28: [The Drill]

You, Sokka, Katara and Toph were escorting the refugees into the city. Aang suddenly appeared in the sky with Momo behind him, landing beside you. 

Katara looked at him in surprise. "Aang, what are you doing here? I thought you were looking for Appa."

"Did you find him already?" you asked, looking around, half-expecting the bison to appear from behind a cloud and shout 'surprise!'

"No. I found something else," he replied grimly. "Something big."

Aang led you all to the outer wall where he and Toph used earthbending to transport you to the top. 

"Now what's so big that Appa has to wait?" Sokka inquired. 

"That," Aang said, and you all looked out to see a giant drill approaching, threatening to penetrate the supposedly impenetrable wall. 

"We made it to Ba Sing Se and we're still not safe," Ying said despairingly. "No one is!"

"What are you people doing here?" a guard demanded, marching over. "Civilians aren't allowed on the wall!"

Aang stepped forwards. "I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever is in charge."

The guard nodded and gestured for you to follow him. You glanced back at Ying, who was huddled together with her family, and paused for a moment. 

"Hey, excuse me?" you called, and the man turned to look at you. "Is there any way you could get this family safely into the city? They've been through a lot."

"Of course. We'll get them on a monorail to the Lower Ring."

Ying smiled gratefully at you. "Thank you."

You nodded, bowing to them. "If we don't see each other again, I hope you have a good, peaceful life." You glanced at their baby and grimaced. "Uh, no pun intended."

Than laughed. "And we wish the same to you. Good luck, Avatar and friends."

You waved to the refugees as they were escorted to the train, and then you were guided to whoever was in charge. It was a middle-aged man who sat behind a desk. 

"It is an honour to welcome you to the Outer Wall, young Avatar," he began, "But your help is not needed."

"Not needed?" Aang repeated, confused. 

"Not needed. I have the situation under control. I assure you the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded."

"What about the Dragon of the West?" Toph asked. "He got in."

"Well... uh, technically yes, but he was quickly expunged. Nevertheless, that is why the city is named Ba Sing Se. It's the 'impenetrable city'. They don't call it Na Sing Se." He laughed, but quickly turned serious again. "That means 'penetrable city'."

"Yeah, thanks for the tour, but we still got the drill problem," Toph dismissed. 

"Not for long. To stop it, I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called the Terra Team."

"That's a good group name," Sokka said appreciatively. "Very catchy."

You all watched as the Terra Team wedged earth spikes into the drill to halt it. However this proved to be futile as the drill's segments separated, reducing the columns to rubble. They were then effortlessly defeated by two girls using chi blocking. 

"We're doomed!" General Sung cried. 

Sokka slapped him across the face. "Get a hold of yourself, man!"