13. I Don't Know

J O S H

"I would get you set up in a room with two beds, but we are booked solid right now." Lucas says as he pulls into the underground parking lot.

"It's fine." Ryder says for the first time since we left the airport. "I have the condo still." Once Lucas parks, he looks at Ryder like he lost his mind. I look between the two confused. If he has a condo, why would he stay in the hotel? "I haven't been able to sell it yet." He shrugs as he gets out of the vehicle, and I stumble out as well.

"I hope you got all the holes patched up. Can't sell it if it is still the way you left it."

Holes. What holes? I see Ryder glare at Lucas, but it doesn't even phase the man.

"It's fixed." Is all he says as he aggressively gets our luggage out and slams the door. He marches away as Lucas walks with me. 

"His ex-girlfriend, they were toxic for each other. that woman has a temper and well you know how Ryder can be." Yeah, I am learning that quickly. We make it inside and Ryder realizes that he should have stayed by my side if he is supposed to be my "bodyguard." I can see the apology in his eyes, but he doesn't say anything. "Well, it's late if you need anything let me know. We will start with your whole working as Jax's assistant in a few days once you get settled." I nod my head as a yawn escapes me. 

"Thanks Lucas." Ryder keeps the passive look on his face as he shakes his hand like it's a business deal, instead of two friends being there for each other. Lucas sighs and gives him a slight smile. "Anytime man, you know I'm here for you. Like you were there for me back in college." Ryder nods his head but doesn't say anything else.

"Good luck with him. I don't know what happened to him on his last tour, but he came back different. That's not the Ryder I know." He whispers in my ear as he clasps his hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks, I think I will need it." He chuckles as he walks off and Ryder waits impatiently for me.

We walk in silence as we make it to the elevator and I hesitantly step inside. I hate these things and I rather take the stairs any time. I try to keep my breathing even, but I can tell that even Ryder notices my discomfort.

"You okay?" I can tell it took everything in him to ask that. I don't even answer him, fidgeting with my hands to distract me. The elevator jolts for a brief moment but it is enough to make me shriek and climb up him like a damn spider monkey. 

"I don't want to be trapped in here." I bury my face into his neck and cling onto him for dear life as the bastard chuckles at my discomfort. "It's nothing." he laughs some more, and I jump out of his hold and glare at him. This is not funny at all. This a real fear and I know I'm not the only one that has this damn fear.

"Don't worry Josh, I will protect you from the big bad elevator." He laughs some more and any other time I would be happy that he is laughing but not now. I hit his chest hard and push him against the wall.

"Go fuck yourself Ryder!" The elevator doors open, and I rush out of there. I don't even know if this is the right floor, but I don't care when I take in a deep breath. The elevator doors close before he can get out. "Shit!" I hear him say before he is gone. I remember that he was on the same floor as Kat and I were, so when I look at the number, I know I got two more floors to go.

I make way to the stairway and start walking up. It is eerily quiet as I make the ascend to the twelfth floor. As I get closer to the eleventh floor, I hear a door slam shut.

"Hello" 

I look back but don't see anything and shrug off the feeling I am getting. I am still angry at Ryder for making fun of me. Why do I even like the dickhead? God only knows why I do, but if he keeps this up I probably won't for long. Maybe that's a good thing. I hear footsteps but when I turn around no one is there.