The Woman in the Painting

(Anna’s POV)

Alex pulled me away from Kane, and rushed me out of the dining room. I looked back at Alice with sorrow in my eyes. I really didn’t want to leave her, but I had to. Alex wouldn’t let me stay in there and protect her. Instead he dragged me upstairs, back into that room.

Once we were inside, he closed the door behind us. He then pulled out two luggage bags and a duffel bag from underneath the bed. He took off his dinner clothes and put on comfortable clothes and a pair of sneakers.

“Start filling the luggage bags with some of our clothes and shoes from the wardrobe and dresser,” he said while placing the bags in front of me. I’ve already prepared a duffle bag. It has some cash and blood bags in it.”

“Alex, what is happening?” I asked him.

“Just do as I say. I’ll keep watch at the door. We’re leaving this place tonight,” He said as he buckled his pants.

I was happy to hear those words, but I was upset that I wouldn’t be able to stay and help Alice. I hope she escapes this place too. My head is flooded with so many thoughts and questions, as I quickly begin stuffing clothes into suitcases. Where will we go? How will we hide? What will we do? Alex put his hands on mine. I could tell he knew I was worried by the loon in his eyes. 

“Everything will be okay, Anna,” Alex said as I zippered the bags.

He took them from my hands, and placed them by the door.

“What now?” I asked.

He looked at me. His face was red and filled with concern. Though he won’t admit it, I know he is just as scared as I am.

“We’re going to sneak out of this place. We will have to leave town for a while, until we can relocate,” He said before pulling me into a hug. “I will take care of everything, don’t worry.”  

“Are you sure this will work?” I asked as I pulled away.

“I will not let anything happen to you. I will not make the same mistake twice.” He said while closing his eyes.

His words seemed sincere. I could feel myself falling for him. Even though I knew I probably shouldn’t, I had begun to have feelings for him.

“I love you, Alex.” I said to him for the first time as a tear escaped my eye.

In the heat of the moment, he pulled me into a long passionate kiss. My feelings for him had changed from when I first woke up here. He isn’t like the others. He’s different. I could love someone like him. Not that I had a choice in the matter anyway.

“I love you too, Anna,” Alex said after pulling away.  

Someone on the other side of the room began to clap. Alex and I both turned towards the person clapping. At first I only noticed Kane, until Sophia slammed the door shut.

“Doesn’t love make you sick?” Kane asked Sophia.  

She nodded and smirked.

“Sorry it took me so long to get up here,” Sophia said while crossing her arms. “I had a bit of a problem to take care of downstairs.”

“What’s going on here?” I asked Alex. 

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you the same question?” Kane asked sarcastically.

Alex used his arm to push me back, hiding me behind him. 

“Come on. Why are you hiding?” Kane asked playfully. “I don’t bite that hard.”