Better Late Than Never

Author: I'm waiting for votes and comments, all I can see that there are so many ghost readers right here. But as an writer I am giving my time and effort to this story.

"No way, get up!"

I said, refreshing the atmosphere. As the three of them stared in surprise, I got up and crossed over to the empty space of the terrace and turned to them with my arms wide open.

"Come here quick! We'll hug!"

I called them to me. Zee slowly approached as the twins ran to me, giggling. He smiled slightly as he stared deep into my eyes.

In the end we all hugged each other like band singers in the middle of the terrace and under the lights. We stood like this for a while, and Zee took out his phone and checked the time.

"Let's go now. It's late."

Despite the insistence of the boys, we set out because we both had plans for the next day.

When we came to the city center, I returned to Zee.

"Are you tired of driving?"

"I'm fine. What happened?"

This time I turned my whole body towards him and put both my hands on my chin, trying to make a cute face,

"Can I drive?"

Zee nodded, and when he pulled over, I got into the driver's seat and started driving.

After a while, Zee said,

"Nunew, you took the wrong path, we're going the other way to our house."

I nodded.

"I know, but I'm going to take you somewhere. It's my turn. And I know you're tired. But it won't be long."

"It's okay, let's go." when he said, "Oh!" I gave a short applause and focused on the road.

When we got to the place not far away and where I wanted Zee to see, I stopped the car and parked it. We got out of the car and approached the old coffee-colored mansion. It wasn't scary or spooky with the lights and afforestation of the outside garden. On the contrary, it resembled the law buildings of small towns.

"Where is this Nunew?"said Zee in surprise.

I smiled.

"Come with me."

I took his hand and led him to the door of the mansion. I took the key out of my pocket and opened the door and we went inside. Turned on a few lights and went to the middle of the mansion. Just as he was about to introduce him to the interior, Zee turned to the right.

"The light in the corner room is on."

When he said that, I turned to that side.

A fear gripped me.

There was usually no one inside at this hour. Zee stopped me as I slowly made my way in that direction.

"Wait a minute. Let's call first. Who's there!"

Zee's voice echoed briefly in the mansion, and the door to the room creaked open. I felt involuntarily tense. I was holding Zee's arm. When a silhouette with a drill in his hand came out the door, I squinted my eyes trying to figure out who it was.

When I realized that it was Mr. Silas, I let out the breath I had been holding loudly. I let go of Zee's arm and approached Mr. Silas.

"Oh, was that you, Mr. Silas? I was so scared. I thought it was a thief or something."