Chapter 3

Nov 6th, 2038

3:34 AM

Markus:

Rebooting my systems back up, I lifted myself off the ground. I run a diagnostic program. Impaired vision. Corrupted mind palace. No audio data. All systems on low power mode. Missing thirium pump regulator. Left and right leg components missing and unable to stand.

I crawl forward until I come upon a leg. Leg component: Right leg compatible. I took off the broken leg component and put the compatible one on. As I move farther ahead I push another android over and analyze what I find. Left leg component: #8427g. Status: compatible. I sit up and plug the left leg component in. I stand up a few seconds later.

I walk forward and one of the broken androids grabs a hold of me. "There's a place where we can be free! Find Jericho", the android urges. I continue to move folrward and move down dirt walls that have androids that are buried and stuck in the mud with their hands sticking out. One of them grabs me. "Where are you going?", it asks and I push the hands off of me.

I analyze an android on the ground but only to find it has an incompatible thirium pump regulator. The one that was next to it has an incompatible optical unit. I trip as a third android tries to grab me. I get back up and analyze another android which has a compatible thirium pump regulator. It grabs my hand when I reach towards it. "Wait! please! please, don't do that! I wanna live", it pleads. I spare it. I move to another and take the thirium pump regulator and replace my damaged one with it.

I find an android head on the ground and find it has a compatible optical unit. I take that out of the eye socket and put it in mine. I scan around and find another head with a compatible audio processor. I take the audio processor out of its hand and put it into the right side of my head.

Slipping a few times, I climb out of the ditch that holds all of the broken androids in it. Picking up an object near me, I rip the LED light out of my temple.

Some time later after analyzing and finding clues that the broken android gave me, I find myself coming up to a ship. I run down a metal panel and jump off and land in water. I walk through the halls of the ship and in one of them the floor gave way and I fell down hitting a bar on the way down.

I stand up to find androids surrounding me. "Welcome to Jericho", an android with blue eyes and short blonde hair greets. "Who are you?", I ask him. "Fugitives...just like you...my name is Josh", a dark skinned android says. "I'm simon", the blonde haired android tells me. "North", a female android replies.

"This is Jericho?", I wonder. "It's a refuge for those who don't want to be slaves anymore", josh tells me. "And you knew that only an android could follow the trail, didn't you?", I wonder next. "Only those who are like us can find Jericho", josh says. "If you could decipher the signs, it's because one of us trusted you enough to give you the key", simon replies.

"How many are you?", I ask them. "There are nineteen of us still in working order. The rest were damaged escaping their masters", north answers. "Many tried to reach Jericho...few succeed. Humans have little pity for our kind", josh says, "I understand how you feel...but we have more freedom here than you ever did".

"Maybe I was never really free...maybe I was only what my master wanted me to be...and now I need to decide who I really am", I tell them. "You're lost...just like the rest of us. We didn't ask for this! All we can do now is deal with it", simon replies before walking away. "You're safe here. You can stay with us as long as you want", josh says and walks away as well. "Go and see lucy. She may be able to help you", north suggests as she walks away next.

I go around to all the barrels and light fires in them. "I've heard humans are afraid of dying too...do you know what happens after death?", a female android asks when I come up to one of them. "No. No, I don't", I reply. "Well, I'm about to find out. What's your name?", she asks next. "Markus", I answer. She reaches forward and grabs my hand. "I was glad to meet you, markus", she says as she shuts down.

I step away from her a second later. I go over to josh and see him sitting next to a child android. "They threw him out when they didn't want him anymore...he was living on the streets before we brought him here", josh says to me. "They'll all shut down if we don't find a way to help them", I tell him.

"To help them we need blue blood and biocomponents. We salvage what we can from those who shut down...but there's never enough", josh informs. "So...how do they survive?", I question to him. "They won't. We're slowly dying out", josh answers and walks away again.

I move over to some box crates and find they are empty. I analyze the words on the box: CyberLife warehouse and docks. west torrance avenue. Detroit, Michigan. Then calculate the route. I find an android sitting on the floor and kneel down beside him.

"I'm not in very good shape, am I?", he inquires to me. I shake my head in a 'no'. "My diagnostic program isn't working...I don't think it would have anything good to say anyway", he remarks. "What happened to you?", I ask him. "They tied me to the back of a car...I think they wanted to have fun...I don't wanna shut down...no, I...I don't wanna shut down", he says. I get up and turn away from him walking to my left towards an area with torn plastic around it.

I find another another android with her hands in front of her, standing by a small metal bucket with a lit fire. The android has wires connecting to the hole in the back of her head. "Are you lucy?", I ask her curiously. She looks over at me with pitch black eyes. "Sit down", she replied raising her right hand. I take a seat on a box beside her. "Show me", she intructs.

I lift the right side of my shirt up to reveal a cut in my side. "I'll stop the bleeding", she tells me and grabs an iron from the fire. She comes over tk me and holds the iron across the cut, sealing it closed. Putting the iron back in the fire, she picks up a bottle and holds it out to me. "Drink this", she tells me. I grab the bottle and drink the blue liquid.

Once I stand up she tells me to hold out my hand. The skin color goes porcelain white as we connect. "You had it all and you lost it all. You've seen hell and now hell lives in you. Your heart is troubled. A part of shadow and a part of light. Which will prevail? Your choices will shape our destiny", lucy comments to me. She then lets go of my hand and I go to find simon.

"Simon! I know where we can find spare parts. The CyberLife warehouses in Detroit Harbor, they have everything we need", I inform him. "The docks are guarded. We can't just walk in there and take what we want. Humans will never let us", simon says to me. "Which is why we won't ask permission", I say back. "We don't have any weapons and even if we did, none of us know how to fight", josh argues coming up to us. "We can steal what we need without fighting", I answer. "We'll just get ourselves killed", josh says persistently.

"Maybe, but it's better than waiting here to be shut down", I respond to him. "I'm with you", north speaks up. "Maybe it's worth a try", simon tells me finally agreeing. "Ok, I'm in", josh says.