4. Mystery Box

Another day of jet training came to an end, leaving Jun with the same question they've had for the past three days: Where did Leon's brother go?

They wished they asked that before he left the observation deck.

Not ideal, but not the end of the world. Everyone else stayed back for now, aside from Mia. Jun could ask one of them.

"Yo, Kelly. Did you catch where your guy went?" His name escaped Jun.

"Don't ask me." Aiden shrugged. "I dunno where he skitters off to." With that, he walked off.

"Darn." They snapped their fingers. Luckily, they caught a glimpse of Leon over their shoulder. "Leon, I haven't seen your little bro in a while. Where'd he go?"

"Yes! His absence is most peculiar!" Roxie piped up before he could answer. "Do you know how his handsies are doing?"

"Hm?" Leon didn't seem to know what she was talking about. He also seemed... off. Ever since he found his phone, he had way less energy than usual, even now on his birthday.

"He burned himself."

"What??" That got him to be more alert.

"Only first degree." Emil walked backward toward the door. "They should clear up on their own, right Doc?"

"Yes, but I'd like to keep an eye on it." Roxie whined. "And that still doesn't explain his whereabouts!"

Jun noticed Captain Galhardo lingering a little ways behind Emil. Normally by now, he'd be up the stairs and in his room, but he seemed interested in the conversation.

"Yeah, I haven't seen him in, like, days..." Jun realized something. "Not since you found your phone, actually."

Leon winced. Something must've happened that day.

Before he could answer, Roxie nudged him. "I think this calls for another manhunt~! Our last quest for glory came to an unusual end." She looked over at the captain, who looked away.

"Ah, I don't know." Leon answered. "Ángie could be anywhere at this point. When he doesn't want to be found, he won't be."

"That just makes for extra challenge! Besides, it's not safe! What if he turned into a ghost?" Roxie's voice trembled. Jun guessed it was for dramatic effect.

"Rookie," Emil turned toward Leon, "you said Angelo does this kinda thing a lot, right?"

"Yeah. If hide-and-seek was a sport, he'd go pro."

"This might just be normal for him." He addressed Roxie and Jun. "Prolly nothing to worry about."

"I agree with Ranger Allen." The captain finally spoke, stepping toward his brother with a swish of his cape. "His disappearance has been troubling. Everyone, keep an eye out for Ranger Summers, and report to me or the lieutenant when you find him. Pass this on to the others." His cape flared out as he headed for his room. "I will monitor the cameras for him."

"But Captain, I'm right–Ah, right." Leon caught on. "He's a ranger, too..."

"Where could he beeee...?" Roxie wondered, pitiful.

Jun looked around the empty room. "Well, he's not in here." They lightly elbowed her. "And there's only so many places on the ship. We'll find him."

"Hey, Roxie!" Emil leaned forward. "I was planning on keepin' an eye out for Angelo. Maybe Rookie can't be your rival but–"

"You're on!" Roxie took off running for the door with her arms behind her.

"Well, that's that." Emil shrugged. "Ciao~!" He winked and strolled away.