7. Midnight Confession

"Geez!" Emil tapped the top of the kitchen door frame as he entered. "Where the heck is he hiding? We searched this place top-to-bottom at least 3-4 times since yesterday."

"It was nice seeing everything again." Leon sighed dreamily. "If only I could commit this place to memory..."

"Leon, you alright, buddy? You've been talking like you're gonna die soon."

Roxie practically jumped in front of him. "Are you experiencing any worrying symptoms? A strange mole or perhaps a lump? I can check on them! And unless it's something really aggressive, we should be able to treat you at the Moon Base within a week!" She snagged Emil's arm. "If you're uncomfortable with me checking it, my lovely assistant can–"

"Oh, no, Roxie, I don't need anything checked, I don't think." Leon cut in. "It's just... Well, you guys'll probably hear about it soon enough." He walked ahead of them. "Anyway, I'm gonna hit the shower. I'll let you know if I have any weird moles if I find any!" Judging by his smile, he completely missed the point of her asking.

"Yes! Please do!" She shouted after him.

Leon made his exit, finally leaving the two of them alone so Emil could ask what the heck that was about. He decided to go for a more delicate approach in the hopes that she didn't run from the conversation.

"Hey, uh, Roxie?" He pivoted toward her. "How've you been? I haven't really seen you around before we all started searching together."

Roxie gave him a 1000-watt smile, bright and artificial. Something about it seemed almost knowing. "I am well, but, waaaugh," she yawned dramatically, "I'm so, so sweepy~"

"But it's only 8:30." Emil read from the microwave clock. As far as he knew, only Lorenzo was a good enough boy to go to bed before 9.

 As far as he knew, only Lorenzo was a good enough boy to go to bed before 9

"Oh my! So close to my bedtime!" She backed away toward the hallway door. "I hear my pillow calling meeee~ It's important not to disturb your circadian rhythm, you know. So I bid you a goodnighty-bye-bye!" With one last wave, Roxie disappeared into the hall.

"...'Night, Roxie." He might as well have been talking to the door.

She ran away. Of course she ran away, he would've done the same a few months ago. So strange of her to reach out to him when burnout had him feeling down, only to not take a helping hand in return. That's what he thought until he realized he also would've done that a few months ago. Maybe even now, depending on the circumstance.

Did she think people would leave the second she stopped making them smile? He only had his own experience to go off of. She shouldn't feel the need to be held to such an exhausting routine. He, on the other hand, liked the results too much to stop.

That didn't mean he never felt tired. Between his everyday duties, the party planning, the searching, and the situation he spent so much energy trying to ignore, he felt stretched out in all directions.