6 | SHADOW & BONE TRAILER I COULD THROW UP

I'm back on my nonsense again.

Let's pretend I'm not publishing this when the season comes out NEXT WEEK—

I've had a slightly up-and-down relationship with this new season. One minute, my hype for it is through the roof, and the next I'm really apprehensive about it (especially after hearing that they'll be adapting Siege and Storm and Ruin and Rising in the same season, with the Crows going on a heist). Now, in the lead-up to the trailer and its release... I'm more hyped than ever BUT I'm still keeping in mind that Netflix can stuff it up. Am I still hyped, though? VERY MUCH SO.

Here, I'll be breaking down the trailer as much as I can, making reference to stills and other information we've received over the last few months - so, if you've missed anything, I'll try fill you in as much as possible.

DISCLAIMER: please take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I know as much as what's been revealed to us through stills, recent articles and any information from the books I can use. Please do not take everything I say as fact because it's not!!

DISCLAIMER 2: I'll just be saying whatever comes to mind, no matter how far-fetched, because at this point anything is possible. It's been confirmed that two books will be adapted this season, and storylines, plots and characters will be interacting with each other in ways we've never seen before. Thus, we have to start looking at the show and books as two separate entities, with one just being (in the words of Leigh Bardugo) "high budget fanfiction" and not actually canon. Its accuracy to the source material shouldn't dictate how much we enjoy the show because we should be seeing them as separate now!

I was also approaching the 20-images-per-chapter limit so I had to make collages for some moments. Just a heads-up!

Anyways that's enough of that, so here is my breakdown of the official trailer!

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BOTH THE SHOW AND THE GRISHAVERSE NOVELS (including brief discussion of the King of Scars duology)

TRAILER BREAKDOWN

— KAZ MOTHERSTABBING BREKKER

— KAZ MOTHERSTABBING BREKKER. He just screams Book!Kaz this entire trailer — look at his SCARS! That's my Kaz Brekker. That's my Dirtyhands. That's my B*stard of the Barrel.

— I wonder who he's talking to... Inej? Jesper? WYLAN? N I N A? I feel like it's Nina, because he's talking about the Darkling's "unkillable army made of shadow" and he could be mentioning that to convince her to join their heist. It's not like he really cares about Ravka so long as he gets paid and honestly? I aspire to acquire such indifference.

 It's not like he really cares about Ravka so long as he gets paid and honestly? I aspire to acquire such indifference