Smoke Part 2

"Wake up", i heard a female voice say. A voice that should come from a beutiful young woman. A sound like clapping and then i felt pain on my cheek.

"Wake up", the voice repeated. I tried to tell her to not slap me again but the sound that came out of my mouth was no more than a whimper.

"Thank god", i heard someone else say. "I was about to say we should leave him here".

"Maybe we should", said the girl. "If he doesn't get up in five minutes we'll have to leave. I don't think you can carry him".

"Shut up and wake him up. We don't want to have anyone left behind".

The woman grabbed my shoulders. "Can you move your arms?" I did what she told me. "Okay. Ryan, can you fetch me a glass of water?"

Water? What are they going to do with it? I thought.

"Don't be scared" the girl said. Then i felt the cold water running down my forehead, my eyes and then into my shirt. It wasn't pleasant, but it helped my vision.

"Now we're going to help you stand up. We will get you somewhere safe".

I rubbed my head against my shoulder so i could open my eyes. I looked at the people who were staring at me. I couldn't call them human.

They were the ugliest creatures i've ever seen, humanoid creatures like sculptures made from ash and smoke. Their teeth were bigger than their mouths, yellow and sharp, while their deformed hands ended on dirty claws, drenched in blood. I screamed.

"He can see us" yelled the monster i thought was a woman.

Somehow, instead of freezing, i managed to get up and run to the door, stepping on one of those creatures. I tried to open it, but it was locked. The monsters were getting closer. Desperste, i looked around. I couldn't escape. Unless... i got away from the door and grabbed a heavy book from the shelves. I hurled it at the window. A few seconds later, i was lying on the porch, my knees and elbows scraped. I got up to my feet and ran down the stairs, away from my house. When i turned to see if they had followed me, i felt a pair of hands pulling me. My heart almost stopped. Someone put a hand around my mouth and whispered to my ear "Don't scream. You're safe now. Follow me. Should i let you go?".