Chapter 2, Games and Learning

10 years later

Phantom looked around for his big sister during a game of hide and seek. He had grown quite a bit since his birth, but not a lot due to how spirits age differently to mortals. He still glowed with a white light showing he currently lacked a domain. The young cub didn't really care though, he was just happy to exist.

Phantom prowled across the shrine, his ethereal form passing through all physical things. His tail twitched as he sniffed for his sister's scent. It was then that she pounced on him from behind.

Phantom was under the paws of his larger sibling and squirmed around. "Not fair. I'm supposed to find you."

"That's how mortals do it, this is more fun." Koko mewed in response.

It was then a lynx priest walked in on the two. "Lord Negaf requests your presence in the central shrine cave." They stated.

"Ok!" both siblings responded in unison before rushing to the central cave of the shrine.

The central cave was filled with statues of the Great Spirits surrounding an underground shining lake which was blessed by Bhuta. In the middle of the lake was a majestic statue of her made from pure jade. Vines and foliage also grew across the cave. Negaf was laying by the lake when his children bounded in to see their traveling father. He smiled when he saw them.

"Father!" They both cried as Koko stopped close to him and Phantom just barreled into the ancient leopard spirit. Phantom then pulled his small head out of Negaf's cloudy mane.

"I'm glad to see you two are still as peppy as ever." Negaf mewed fondly as ever. "How are my cubs doing."

Koko rolled her eyes. "Good, and I haven't been a cub for at least 80 years."

"AWESOME!" Phantom exclaimed while leaping into the air, flapping his wings to stay in the air, before then plopping right back down to earth. "But sis doesn't play fair."

Negaf purred and chuckled at this. "Both of you will always be your mother's and my cubs." He then bent down to quietly mew in Phantom's ear. "If she isn't play fair, don't play fair either. Worked all the time with my siblings."

"Ok Father." Phantom quietly mewed back

Negaf pulled away and looked at both siblings. "I believe it's time that Phantom learned how to assume a mortal form. He may not have been given a domain yet, but this is a special thing for all spirits to know."

"If this is about teaching Phantom, why call both of us?" Koko asked as her tail twitched curiously.

"Sis has a point, that is odd." Phantom mewed in agreement

"Because I want Koko to teach you." Negaf answered

The siblings looked at each other before Koko looked back at her father. "I've never really taught anyone."

"Your a fertility spirit for these mountains and have spirits serving under you. Influencing both the growth of plant life and the attraction of mortals is part of your domain. This should be a learning experience for both of you." Negaf mewed to his daughter.

"I think you would make a good teacher." Phantom also mewed

"I'll do my best, let's go bro." Koko mewed sheepishly as she and Phantom went to a different corner of the cave.

Koko instructed Phantom in the basic steps for turning into his mortal form. He picked it up quickly and transformed it a light blue snow leopard cub. He was amazed at the fact he could actually touch things instead of simply pass through them. He ecstaticly ran around halfway listening to his sister explain the trade offs of a mortal form.

Phantom then saw a poofy green and brown thing and tried to eat it, he had never eaten anything before due to not receiving any offerings yet. It was crunchy with parts being very stiff and hard, it had a weird taste.

"Brother, that's a bush." Koko mewed through her giggling

Phantom immediately started gagging and spitting leaves and wood out of his mouth. He also turned a deep shade of red due to embarrassment. The two siblings agreed to never mention this to anyone.