4| Permanent Scars

''𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙝𝙪𝙧𝙩.''

𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸𝘀 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗞𝗶𝗻𝗴'𝘀 𝗖𝗿𝗼𝘀𝘀

𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸𝘀 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗞𝗶𝗻𝗴'𝘀 𝗖𝗿𝗼𝘀𝘀. I had been spending my days in and out of work, only going to and from. As promised, I had been getting letters from Teddy every day. He's told me a lot about Hogwarts. 

Like I predicted, he had been sorted into Hufflepuff. I heard he's been having a great time. His favorite class happens to be Transfigurations. I'm not surprised. Over the short time he's been at Hogwarts, he's met two other people that he calls his friends. Albus and Scorpius. 

McGonagall seems to be a great Headmistress, too. He's met her a few times. Sometimes she can be stern but most of the time she likes to help around the school where she can. I smiled remembering the times that she was just a Transfigurations Professor. I missed those times. 

Like any other day, I had woken up, taken a shower and headed off to work. I checked in on a few of the people that I had been assigned, most of which were from the department that I had majored in. Most of them were bitten by a Muggle animal or injured by something small. They weren't much. 

Boss called me into his office about halfway through my shift. I was talking with the receptionist, saying how some of the patients seemed well enough to leave. Boss had walked into the room, waving me over with a shout of my fake surname. 

''Please, sit.'' He beckoned, sitting on the chair opposite of mine. I started to grow nervous, sitting down in the chair and started to wring my fingers together. ''I just wanted to ask how your grandma was doing?''

''Oh,'' I remembered the lie I had came up with. ''She is doing quite all right, thank you for asking.'' 

''Of course. I just needed to know if my best doctor would be here for the rest of the week.'' He smiled, writing something down on the paper settled on his desk. 

With a laugh and I nod, I answered. ''Yes, I will be here.''

''How's Andrew doing? Last I heard, it hadn't gotten any better.'' 

''He's getting there.'' I relaxed against the chair, leaning back against the head of it. ''I mean, we haven't really gotten a lot of progress done. I'll try seeing what more I can do tomorrow.''

''Take all the time you need.'' He waved his hand at me. ''It's not about how quickly we get them recovered, it's about how accurate. The more accurate, the better chance they have of not coming back.''

Maybe that sounded like a bad thing at first, but if they came back then that would mean that they had gotten another injury. So, it was a good thing. I shrugged my shoulders, about to answer back before a knock had sounded against the door. 

''It's open.'' The boss responded, the door opening just a few seconds afterwards. Another nurse had walked in, seemingly quite alarmed. 

''Miss Diggory,'' She said my name in her out of breath tone. ''A new patient came in. He's not looking so good.''