Part 4

After school I walked home with Brayden. He was going to mow the lawn and I offered to help. I've never done it before so of course he had to teach me how to do that too, but he was clearly happy to do so.
The sun was hot and sticky. I felt like a baked potato with extra cheese. Once we were done I thought I'd just go home and shower but...
  "Why don't we go jump in the lake?" Brayden must have been going into heat deliria or something and I thought he was just joking. "Aren't there frogs?" I blurted out.
"Well sure there is, but they won't mess with you."
At least he was honest, and a cool dip honestly sounded really good. So I followed him down to the dock. I caught myself staring as he took off his shirt. What the heck is wrong with me! I think the heat was getting to me.
I looked down and pretended to be looking at the water before he could see me.
"Um, is there somewhere I can change?" He looked around obviously wondering the same thing and pointed to some bushes. I shrugged and walked over. He must have changed when I wasn't looking because when I walked back over he was already in his trunks. He raised his eyebrow and looked me up and down. I dropped my eyes to the ground smiling then looked back up at him. "What?"
He smiled and shook his head. "Ladies first?" he asked, gesturing towards the lake. "Unless you're too scared." I made a face of being worried and as he figured I wasn't going to jump, he turned to go alone. As soon as his back was fully turned I began running down the dock and dived. When I resurfaced he was wide eyed. "Here I thought I was getting in alone again."
I frowned at him. "Again?"
"Yea the girl that used to live at your house was a major chicken. She was nothing like you." He said smiling.
I nodded once very slowly trying not to smile, then I realized he wasn't in the water yet. "You coming or what?" He smiled mischievously and cannon balled, splashing me entirely. When he came up again I was wiping my face. "Thanks a lot." He gestured as if he was bowing. "You're very welcome." I shook my head and dove under. I may be called weird for it but I tend to open my eyes underwater, and when I did all I could see was green. I started running out of breath so I swam up again. When I reached the surface I smoothed back my hair. Brayden was picking at the paint on the dock. He turned when he realized I was back. "Sorry. I was just seeing if I should repaint the dock." I smiled at his sheepish grin. "Want to come to my place for dinner?" I thought he was going to say no but he looked at me with a smile. "Yeah sure." 
We walked over to his house to grab a change of clothes for him. Once we got back to my house mom was rushing around the house, dressed in nice clothing. She turned when we walked in the door. "Oh hey honey." She returned to gathering her purse. "Mom?" I was wondering if Brayden could stay for dinner."
"Oh I'm sorry honey but I have to go. I got an interview for that new job."

I pasted on the happiest smile I could and pulled mom into a hug. I pulled away and looked at her. I could tell she was really happy but I had a lot going through my mind.

Are we actually going to stay?
   Is this just another bomb on my hopes?

My mom looked at me with a careful smile. "You remember how to make spaghetti?"
"Yeah."
"Alright make spaghetti for the two of you. I won't be home tonight because after the interview I'm going out with some business partners and we're going to stay at an inn near the airport so we're closer for our flight tomorrow."
"Flight?" Why would she be going on a flight?
"We have our first client in New York, but don't worry I'll be back the day after tomorrow."
   I smiled "ok."
She gave me a kiss on the forehead and I watched as she ran out the door and closed it behind her. I looked over on the counter and saw her keys.
    She really is losing her mind.
I grabbed them and opened the door as she was running up the stairs. She took the keys and winked at me, making a click sound. "That's my girl."
She pulled out of the driveway and a cloud of dust trailed behind her. I waved until I realized I was now a host. If mom taught me anything it was to be a good host.