Chapter 1: Groom Without A Bride

"Tu mere rubaroo, Har shay mein tu hi tu,Tu pehli aarzoo, Tu hi judaa"

"Ishani" Kaira gently tapped on the door of the bridal suite booked by the groom's family for them, eagerly awaiting a response from the bride inside. After waiting in silence for a response that never came, she made the decision to enter without further delay.

"Ishani" As she lifted the weighty deep green lehenga studded with sparkles, she gently pushed the door open to check the bathroom and balcony searching for her younger sister. It was then that her gaze landed on a piece of white paper on the dressing table. Her intuition immediately told her what had transpired and without even reading the letter, she hurried to find her mother, attempting to keep her composure normal and happy as a sister of the bride should be.

She guided her mother away from the guests holding a wide smile.

"Kya hua Kaira?" (What happened Kaira?) Her mum asked smiling.

"Padhye" (Read) She unfolded the letter intended for her mother and requested her to go through it. Her mother fainted as soon as she finished reading the letter. The guests who were close by observed the unfolding drama with interest. The groom's family noticed the change of air and immediately took control of the situation and guided her mother to the nearest room.

"Uncle aunty..." Kaira approached the groom's parents with her hands folded and head bowed.

"Ishani ran away" She anticipated the shame that would come to both the families, but believed it was best to inform them sooner than later. Kaira felt a tear trickle down her face as she braced herself to listen to the accusations that would be directed towards her family by the groom's relatives.

"This is what happens when you get your son married to a middle-class girl" Although the comment ripped her apart, she remained silent and kept her head lowered. The offensive comment had come from the groom's aunt. Kaira's mother, Manisha also chose not to respond and stood by her daughter enduring more such remarks from many relatives.

"Ma" The commanding voice of the groom echoed in the room, causing Kaira to shiver in fear. She was too afraid to meet the angry gaze of the groom whose bride had fled a few moments before she was summoned. He had left the mandap and walked into the room noticing a crowd building up infront of the room.

"What is happening?" He inquired with a stern look.

"Bas beta(Son, just...) their daughter ran away. Of course, she had since she grew up without a father. Who would have taught her some manners" Once again the same aunt made a sarcastic remark, prompting Kaira to clench her fists in anger. She chose to remain silent as the aunt criticized Ishani's actions and judging her family on the basis of her father's actions. The groom noticed Kaira's clenched fists and gave a stern look to his aunt before taking hold of Manisha's hands and gently pushing them down.

"The baraat (procession) can't leave without a bride" He announced. For the first time since he entered, Kaira looked up at him in shock. He closed his eyes for a few seconds thinking of a way to clean up the already spilt mess.

"If you don't have a problem, I'd like to make you my bride" He announced surprising everyone in the room including her. She gestured for him to follow as she walked into another room.

"Hum apse pyaar nahi karte" (I don't love you)

"Hum bhi"(Me too) He said maintaining a distance between them. She glanced back at him.

"I don't know how to love anyone" She looked at him with a plea to help her out of the situation.

"Now that's not true" He sat down in a chair taking deep breaths.