Chapter .2: Patient 0

The news broadcast has put my wife and me more on edge than we ever have been in our entire lives. But to top everything off, we go online to do some more research on this pandemic to try and see what other information we can find on it. As it is quite literally posted everywhere, I click on a news article titled, "Pandemic "Z", patient 0".

We pulled up the article to look more into it and to learn more about it, discovering that it all started out with one single person. A man named, Jake Russo.
We look further into his story and it stated that he was into traveling, however, his love for traveling would not only cost him his life, but all of humanity. The explorer decided that it would be a good idea to visit Karachay, being the most radioactive place in the entire world. 

Jake Russo reached the destination of the lake near Russia, full of nothing but complete nuclear waste. He thought it would be fun to not only ILLEGALLY visit this lake, but to visit it UNPROTECTED from ANY of the radioactive waste compounds he surrounded himself with.
As he got back to the states from his trip, he was initially feeling normal but until 2 months after his return, he became terminally sick.
When he arrived to the Emergency Room, the medical team ran a vast number of tests on him and could not figure out the diagnosis as there wasn't a name for what he had.

For the time being they called it, "Jake's Disease" until it had begun to spread to several more people in the hospital, effecting doctors and patients. Eventually, Jake's fever and sickness progressively worsened and he was pronounced dead as his body wasn't able to recover from the illness. He was moved to the hospital's morgue and the pathologists ran many more tests on his lifeless corpse, where they then learned that the radiation had genetically modified his entire DNA composition.

Within a twelve hour time span, twelve doctors and 18 patients were pronounced dead. The virus was growing rapidly and was getting ahead of researchers, which meant they were having major problems keeping up with it all. Until then, something happened that shocked the citizens of our planet....
Jake's corpse started making strange noises which had sounded like grunts and proceeded to make movement as if he was alive....
But, he wasnt.

When a morgue pathologist went up to the corpse to try and understand what was happening, Jake's corpse rose up abruptly and took a chunk out of the worker's arm. Screaming in pain, the worker turned around and ran, FAST. When he looked back to see the bodies of multiple people who were seemingly dead, they immediately started coming after him. He slammed and locked the door to the morgue and called  the authorities. He kept running while screaming, all while missing a chunk out of his arm.....
His health was deteriorating.

Finally, the SWAT team breached the hospital and witnessed the pathologist worker collapse to the ground and instantly succumb to the injuries he had substained. Proceeding to the morgue, they breached through and started firing off round after round and watch as all the infected phase through it all as if they were never shot. Petrified, one of the SWAT troopers yells out,

"Heads! AIM FOR THE HEADS!"

By that point it was too late to cease the situation, as a swarm of those that were supposed to be dead, swarmed around the SWAT. They started by tearing their way through all their protective gear and clothing, ripping chunks of flesh out amongst them all. During all of this a hospital nurse screams in fear and agony, in hopes of bringing attention to herself for some sort of help. The nurse turns herself around and all that can be seen through all of the lifeless bodies and chaos, was the morgue worker who had just previously collapsed dead. It was only a few minutes ago when he had died as SWAT arrived, but was now on his feet. He ambushed the nurse, tearing chunk by chunk of skin off the nurses neck and face, dismembering her.

         The hospital was placed into lockdown  and got taken into martial law by the United States Army

         The hospital was placed into lockdown  and got taken into martial law by the United States Army. Anyone that was inside the hospital or anywhere near had to be put into forced quarantine. However little did anyone know, it was far too late for any forms of quarantine.....
        the virus had officially become air borne.

           The specific hospital in question was St. Peter's health hospital In Helena Montana, which was even more scary for us considering Montana is only a few states away.....

        I was trying not to panic and to remain calm, I clung to the thought in my head that the situation is temporarily under control. my wife and I had then decided it would be a good idea to make dinner and get some sleep... Seeing to it as pandemic or not, I still had to work at six in the morning.
         However, I will soon learn that taking this virus with a grain of salt, would cost me EVERYTHING.......

(Photos originally found on Google and edited by Darby)